Chapter 38 Bubbles

<Koleston, Sasha's Room>

They sat across the room from each other. Their silver white and gray-blonde hair shared much of the same feelings. Sasha was on the bed and Vera was by the door. It was Otto's old room and yet it hid many secrets that the eye couldn't unearth.

"Now?" Vera asked while picking at the carpet absentmindedly.

Sasha who was curled up in blankets didn't respond. In the orphanage, Otto didn't show much favoritism. There however was a distinction between her status and the rest. She didn't flaunt it nor did she tell but it was so easy to tell. Private lessons in noble tea making, serval hand-woven blankets, and excess snacks were just a few of the signs that the other girls noticed. Sasha shared enough and she was always kind. No one harbored any resentment or dark jealousy.

"Sasha?" Vera asked again. She stopped picking away at the carpet and scooched closer to the bed. Sasha was Otto's kindness. Vera had mixed feelings when he accepted her but they evaporated almost immediately after they'd met. Sasha had the qualifications in Vera's heart. She loved their big brother and that was all Vera needed.

Sasha trembled but didn't budge. She wanted to remember the times she was tucked in. By her mother, her brother, and her father. She wanted to manifest those dreams into reality but the dead would never come back. The warmth of the hearth they provided was gone. The home was gone. Yes, there was a distinction between her and the rest of the orphans. While they all called him father, Sasha called him brother. After his death, she sought strength and direction but in pursuit, her vision was clouded. It wasn't so clouded now but how would she pursue happiness? How would she obtain it?

"It's never smooth," Vera spoke as if she read Sasha's mind. She stood and calmly tucked Sasha into bed. Her small hands radiated warmth only Sasha could feel. "But there still are beautiful scenes left in this world. Colors and flowers."

"But am I strong enough to protect them?" Sasha asked. Her lips trembled and in response, Vera rubbed her back.

"Brother was strong."

Sasha stopped trembling. Vera observed Sasha with the last wisps of her heart. Her little sister knew that statement was true and yet by the conventional means of the world the common folk would argue he wasn't. Stripped of his titles and accolades, he was just a tall man with no stigma.

"I will forever be a student." Sasha laughed.

"An academic," Vera nodded. "You weren't suited for fighting. I was worried you'd come back hurt."

"My body has suffered more injuries from you." Sasha retorted. "Was it necessary? Yes but couldn't you have been kinder to your sister."

"I dunno." Vera smiled. She ruffled Sasha's hair stirring protest and annoyance.

"You enjoy messing with me a little too much! Big brother never teased me!"

"He loved babying people. You and I are different."

"I don't bully people."

"Ah, I remember that you wanted to be the big sister. You walked in close and commented on my height no? It was our first sparing session. Before then we were just sisters."

"You're choking the flowerbed!"

"Strange saying. You're implying that I'm putting words in your mouth?"

"Precisely!"

"Calling big sister a liar won't do." Vera rebuked. She leaned in close and ripped away Sasha's blankets. Sasha felt a cool breeze but she wasn't cold for long. Vera pounced on her and began to tickle her sides. Laughter echoed throughout the orphanage. A good sign for Sasha, Vera tickled her with trained expertise. She could see all the colors of the world through closed eyes. Vera only smiled, flecks of color could be seen from the joy on Vera's face but everything else remained the same lifeless gray.