Chapter 53 The Scent and The Trail

<NotreDame Cathedral>

Tall, elegant, and composed. Those three words most aptly described the Archbishop of Paris. Her position was coveted by many. While her sway over the public was less than that of the late Will Apocalypse, her sway over the Parisian nobles was only inferior to the Overseer and the Royals. If she willed it people could be wiped from the annals of history. If she wished to break free from the church's control she had enough resources to start a small rebellion. Her position was no less than that of a Duke who sat at the previous Overseer's table. It was a position that even Cardinals desired, Marcus Apocalypse was no exception.

"May the Lord beckon thee his grace."

She was calm and strict. She had taken her vows. She had nothing to lose. In truth, a few were puzzled as to how a mundane woman like her rose to such a position. Normally, the position of Archbishop was given to veteran Valkyries. In fact, over half of the archbishops of Schicksal were former Valkyries. There were a few men among their ranks, only reaching the position through the merit of their faith or other corrupt means. The Archbishop of Koleston was the former and by far the worst of the bunch.

"May thou speakest thy truth and receiveth his love and peace."

She prayed to the altar, to the cross that was the symbol of the most Holy Sacrifice. A crucifixion of her grace and her willingness to save the world. The records were jumbled, and the individual had long gray hair. Upon that one's punishment, that one disappeared from the world of being. It was an event that happened long before the founding of the church, the records date it three thousand years in the past. It had grown so strong but most had forgotten, only the clergy could remember.

"Your grace, his Holiness wishes to speak with you."

The Archbishop of Paris turned her head. Her jet-black eyes twinkled curiously but her face was impassive. The nun gulped, despite being a supposed paragon of faith the Archbishop had terrifying features. For one her hair was darker than the night sky. She didn't seem to be human to be honest. She never indulged in hearty food or jewelry. Despite having such a sinful body she kept true to her vows. With her position, she could have anything a common woman would desire but she had no desires. She covered up, flirted with no one, and attended to her ceremonies and sacred duties with unnatural diligence. She was a perfect servant of God.

"Have you led him to a room?"

"We've acted only within the bounds of the clergy. Frugal as you've taught us but he wasn't bothered."

"Yes, that's how His Holiness ought to be. Modest, frugal, and most important of all chaste."

"It's as you say, your Grace."

"Enough chatter. Clean the altar. I must tend to our guests. May the Lord watch over thee."

"May the Lord watch over thee, your grace."

The Archbishop of Paris was tall, too tall. She towered over most people, at around 192 cm. Had she taken care of her health, she'd have grown even taller. Well, those days were long past, erased even. She walked under holy tapestries to reach a side room in the Holy space.

"Your Holiness, why have you called me?"

They sat on shoddy wooden benches on a creaking wooden floor. It was a makeshift room, one where nun initiates and deacons would learn the Holy scripture. Despite the few rows of benches, the Archbishop of Paris sat beside Cain. She was close, a little too close but Cain didn't mind, they were familiar.

"Celeste, have you been pulling the strings? As we'd say tethering the boats by river-"

"-only to be sailing past the bridge. I still remember our time at Nuit Fragrance. Or the gentle cypress air by that Plane tree. You made me break my vows. Are you asking me to break them again?"