Chapter 46 Census

<Hidden Part of Paris>

"Why are we following her?"

The question hung in the stale air. The space carried putrid scents of decay mixed with burning ash. The two figures, cloaked in black, shifted through caskets in search of something only known to them. The taller figure ignored the question and continued to search for the reminder that there were fates worse than death.

"She's a glos pautonnier. There's filth and then there's that levereter. Will what we do honor her Ladyship's legacy?!"

The tall figure stopped her search. She moved over to an unmarked casket and thrust her hand through the hardened wood. Splinters flew and a locket with the insignia of a dove emerged from where the heart of the casket should be.

"You ramble like horsesteps on the carriageways. Do you not remember from whence we came?"

The short figure focused her eyes on the locket that glinted in the torchlight. She bit her tongue but didn't utter another word. Sensing her obedience the taller figure pocketed the locket and signaled their exit. They left the room in utter disarray but who would notice? Few visited untended graves and even fewer scavenged the wastes of the urban shell.

"I have questions too. But the tome she procured is invaluable. She has a craftiness in her mind, while we have devoted ourselves to the Ladyship. Without the Head, we are just drifters in the wind. She has a bud and while we can hope for the Rose to continue we must face our ends."

The figure followed up steep abandoned steps. She observed the wood beams that were rotten beyond repair. Scorch marks, stone blisters, and heat sores polluted the passageway they wandered.

"Is that what her Ladyship desired?"

"Do you remember what she offered?"

"I do."

"What is it that you desire?"

They made it out of the burrow and into the streets of Paris. It was midday and the sun sprinkled fresh light upon their heads. The shorter figure slid back her cowl and admired the blue sky.

"I desire to serve her ladyship."

<Kallen's Barrack Room>

"I'm bored."

Kallen sat on her bed while Sakura sat on the floor before her. She absentmindedly flicked at Sakura's ears. Sakura bore the annoyance because the alternative was something much worse. Kallen wasn't gentle enough with Sakura and thus she was banned from ever holding Sakura's ears.

"Would you like for me to cook?"

"I want to explore the streets."

They were on standby. Frederick Kaslana and a few trackers were heading the investigation. A few other Valkyries from both Kallen's squad and Addrienne's assisted them. While Kallen was quite stealthy she didn't have the investigative skills of those specialists. Sakura, on the other hand, had a few abilities integral to procuring evidence but she specialized in hunting Honkai beasts.

"Captain Kallen. We'll face some action soon." Skye beamed, trying to cheer her up. She was a bit stiff but Sakura noticed that the air was more comfortable than formal. Kallen was almost lazing around and the few Valkyries she knew in their squad were entertaining themselves.

"I don't want action. I want to save more people! We can't even patrol Paris."

"It's reasonable. No Valkyrie should practice all day; we're unfamiliar with the streets. Leave it to the Parisians to defend their city."