Chapter 21 Deeds

Wheat fields swayed in the ominous wind. Not a soul worked them. Not a soul plodded them. Instead, all of Luton's residents had returned to town in the wake of the distant explosion. They huddled in the town's humble church, tied together snuggly like bales of wheat. The priest was reciting holy prayers and the baron stood outside waiting for a report of the situation.

"I was just plowing the heap when suddenly the dirt shook."

"Aye, I lost control me plow. Frogs spawn was what became me legs."

"Ah, hush I'm sure the Maiden will handle it."

"But a Valkyrie returned injured. I saw her, lines of corruption running deep."

"She's not the Maiden."

Alice heaved a reluctant breath. The situation was unexpected. An explosion of that magnitude had shocked her. A high-class beast would be more threatening but it did not carry the shock and awe of smite. Luckily for her, Ava had recovered. The scout was ready to carry out her duties but Alice advised her to stay. It didn't help that saving her life consumed the majority of the vaccines they had.

'Are they truly vaccines?' Alice thought. 'Though new and improved we always had to take them before battle. Strategic resistance to corruption. But the way it acts now is like a cure. Ellie trusted the instructed process. It's much like a miracle.'

"Alice, what troubles you?"

Alice turned towards her friend, Cathy. She had to arch her neck because Cathy was so tall. Cathy had a lean body, an athletic frame, ordinary dark brown hair, and polished hazel eyes. It was these features that made her a bit self-conscious. She was taller than most women and in her own eyes more basic than the ones that matched her height. Dating was troublesome for her. She couldn't find anyone who would stay with her for long.

"We know Ellie thinks he's a scapegoat. She's too good for him. He used her to experiment on corruptive power. Yes, he was charged with more than he sinned but he was also the last member of the Apocalypse family."

"Ellie wouldn't like this. Besides he brought her back. Corrected his mistake."

"It's not to say he doesn't deserve a chance. If I were anyone else I'm sure I'd agree that he's proven himself worthy. If his last actions were self-sacrifice as Ellie suspects... I'll begrudgingly accept his candidacy."

"It's Ellie's choice."

"It is. I didn't try to dissuade her. But do you see how much pain she's in? You know I was tempted to tell her to give up. Back when we first got to know each other. She was not yet vice-captain, just a girl in love. The way Kallen returned his gaze. I think I knew there was no chance."

"Men get stolen all the time."

"He wasn't a whore. I don't like Kallen either. She's selfish and headstrong. On many occasions, we were tossed to the wayside to fulfill her heroism. Remember Watsford? She rushed in head first without a plan. Granted she had impeccable battle sense but we were forced to fend off the rest of the waves that she didn't destroy. Ellie had to take her place and reign in our defensive line. The citizens only saw their hero's triumph but had she stayed to defend the walls the defense would have been much safer. A few of the vets had to retire due to her carelessness."

"Then what about now?"

"She... I do think she had the power to save him. Death wasn't needed. Ellie would've been happy if he was happy. Kallen, I don't think I'll ever see her favorably."

"Then Ellie's first love?"

"If he directed his love towards her, I'd accepted that. If I think more about it, he was more innocent than guilty. Look at the orphanage he made. They were all happy and he raised Vera rather well."