Chapter 24 One Stand

Nothing is more grueling than sludging through winter grime—half-melted snow, ten centimeters thick, melded with muck. It was as though the stone streets had become a bog. Every step sullied the footsloggers above. No pedestrian returned home clean. No one returned home happy. All wore black save for the Valkyries patrolling the walls.

"Reporting! Vice Captain Schariac will arrive in two days. She reports steady progress in the North. There are no setbacks or injuries!"

A clear and standard salute seemed so misplaced amid the streets. All formalities and discipline had been dropped to mourn those who had passed. Kallen nodded at Skye before waving her away. As Skye's presence receded from the streets another taller presence stood by her side.

"Agatha." Kallen greeted with a solemn tone.

Agatha replied with a gentle smile. Her hands remained firm to her side. Admittedly the elder Valkyrie was a bit stiff. Kallen was always a troublesome one to look after. It was back when Sabrina had taken it upon herself to ready Kallen for expeditions. In those times, Kallen was too eager to help those in need. She often scurried away when no one was looking. Sabrina was perhaps the only one who could tame her.

"This is surprising."

The comment could have a million meanings but one look into Agatha's eyes told Kallen she meant no harm. It wasn't a biting remark or one-tinged with disgust. Kallen brushed covering strands of hair behind her ear. They wiggled ready to listen.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

Agatha sighed and looked towards their destination, a chapel three blocks away. It was one of two places of worship in the town of Watford. This one came with a cemetery with an entrance to the burial tunnels below. Countless civilians in black crowded the place and the sermons of the head priest could be heard past the crowd.

"I'm surprised by your stature. You've grown quite a bit but you come from the Kaslana line."

"Is now an appropriate time?" Kallen asked, nostrils flared. "I'm one seventy centimeters. I'm quite tall for a woman."

Agatha chuckled. Kallen had matured but she was still quite young.

"Among Valkyries? Among your family?"

"Alright, what's your point?" Kallen huffed angrily, the solemn face she kept started to break.

"You should lighten up. You didn't fail."

Kallen stopped walking. Agatha stopped as well. They were both wearing the attire of nuns. Mourning black with strips of white, cloaked their bodies.

"So I've been told."

"But have you listened? I still take it you have yet mastered the art. You gave Sabrina no quarter but that was then. I see now you have the patience to hear but not to integrate."

"I know I can't fight Honkai alone."

"But what do you want to be able to do? As you've grown stronger and as you succeeded you've come to be accustomed to power. Your failures can only be counted by the girl you took in as a sister."

Kallen resumed her stride and Agatha followed after. They reached the end of the block before Kallen spoke again.

"You forgot the war. I didn't bring everyone home."

"Honkai and humans are two different enemies."

"Humans..."

"Arguably, the more terrifying of the two."

"The people were misguided. Now that conflict has passed over."

Agatha didn't push the subject, Kaslana's justice was something that stood the test of time. No matter what era Kaslanas always found new ways to die young. Sabrina and her children were outliers. Cain had duties that prevented him from such an honor.