Chapter 17 Respite

"Hello," Sqeaked Cohline. The scent of rising yeast greeted her as she entered the bakery hours before opening. Her cane, acting as a crutch, tapped against the hardwood floors. This was one of the few privileges she had and though her conversation with the wonder left her feeling embarrassed, she couldn't help but indulge in freshly baked bread again. It was commonplace for her to use this privilege as a student. Several years had gone by since she spent the morning in the cafe, studying to get into prestigious schools. A sort of confidence arose from her as she pushed her usual shyness. A weak but warm smile greeted the baker but he wasn't smiling, troubled thoughts clouded his eyes.

"Ah, Cohline welcome. Sorry, I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment. Stephen returned but something happened to him."

"Is he alright?"

"I'm barred from exposing the situation. Could you bring him this basket? Dried meats and pickled vegetables normally cheer him up in any scenario."

"Of course, but where does he live?"

"In an apartment down on Browns Street, third floor, room 3, of the Spoon Comfort building. It's a more rowdy part of town but you Stephen, he's a bright boy. Loves crowds and festivals."

"Of course. I'll head there right away."

The baker's eyes couldn't free themselves from the floor. Everything he prepared was thanks to years of muscle memory. He could make the daily pastries in his sleep. As Cohline limped away he recalled his past regrets. Perhaps his son was not spared from the sins of his father. The scratches of the side door woke him from his melancholy. A fresh tray of baked goods made, in the middle of the night, seared his hands and he kicked over the door with a smile.

"Good morning!"

"Mr. Baker we've got money."

"Shush children you know I'll never take your money. Just take on and go."

"Yes, Mr. Baker."

It was his charity that brought smiles to the children's faces. It was his atonement to provide these children with something. But this action was rewarding to him. Seeing the children healthy and fed warmed his heart. Almost a year ago they'd that his food as skeletons and before then not many took in his charity.

Cohline wandered to the more crowded side of town. The city center had its appeal. The most reputable of shops and general stores dotted those streets. It was a haven for the middle class, buying products and seeing a few shows, maybe eating at a small restaurant. Most of the responsible habits of the city took place in the center. East to that was a collection of streets not so reputable and not so proper. It was an older section with remnants of festivities plaguing every street corner. Whether it was a line of festival flags or a crazy drunk, this section of the city was known as a playground for the common folk. Shows, music, and performances, one could venture a little deeper and even find places of sin. The pits held gambling for the most wealthy and there were even rumors of a brothel in the deepest corners.

"It's not the redlight district but I guess the board is cheap. I don't know if I can stand partying." Cohline muttered, inhaling the scents of her cane. Fresh flowers and lavender did little to fend off the stench of alcohol.

She trenched along uneven streets and morning bars. It seemed a good portion of the partons were hung over and sick. The little order of the place came in the form of guards that hauled people back to their homes. There were no children, the nickname of these eastern streets made it clear that no families should settle there. The Labyrinth of Bachelors was a fitting name as the activities warded off a substantial pool of partners.