Chapter 43 Heretics

<Paris Grand Cathedral>

Frederick scooched between the clergy and ducked under tapestries and curtains to reach his appointed spot. Strangely those curtains hid behind them thickbound books. They must be Bibles, Frederick didn't spare them any thought. He wore an honorary cardinal cassock, priest robes, and a royal red galero atop his head. He wore the attire daily of cardinals, the top cover of the robe was orange-red and the rest were pure white. It was rather stuffy and worse when mixed with all the bodies of the crowds.

He glanced at his robes, funny how they symbolized one's desire to die for the father above all. Most of the cardinals he knew didn't believe in the Lord's name. Marcus didn't and to his knowledge the Kaslanas had only one believer in the Lord and that was Kallen herself. Will was perhaps the only fervent believer in all three families. Frederick only believed enough so that he'd go to heaven upon his death. It never hurt to be too careful, was his reasoning. Despite this, his faith had waned and he sensed that the three houses that ruled the church didn't believe in the Lord. Why was unknown to him but if he had to guess it was due to life experiences. Tribulations collected over centuries had perhaps taught the families that God didn't exist.

'Why would the Father Above All take Will? Why did Otto suffer such a fate?' These were the questions Frederick thought of to refute the religious faith. Yet despite his sense of justice he felt eyes upon him, he felt eyes watching him at that very moment. He couldn't shake off his instinctive belief in the Church's Lord.

He slid back behind one final curtain before reaching a door at the end of the Cathedral. It led to the clergy rooms and a courtyard with a plentiful garden. Prayer was taught and practiced by priests to deacons and aspiring clergymen. There was an apothecary office and a medical clinic, and a set of doors led to certain tunnels below. What was behind them was what Frederick assumed to be more catacombs. He'd been curious in the past but never had the authority to confirm his speculations. He didn't care to anyway, it was this very back room where Will died in his arms. He looked to the podium and altar that Will preached from. He could see them, Will's dirty blonde hair and mischievous smile convincing and wooing the crowd to believe in the Lord. He would hold sermons that lasted for hours. Getting a seat at the pews was nigh impossible without staking out the night before.

'They still miss you. You were devious but they saw something else in your faith.' Frederick thought. He crossed his arms and almost sighed in frustration. What stopped him was the lack of Will's presence. 'God bye, Will. We're working towards a bright future. The faith you've instilled reigns strong. Uncle Cain could hardly believe that Paris's church personnel tripled after Otto's execution.'

Frederick gave the podium one final look before entering the private section of the Grand Cathedral. Today he was going to accompany Kallen. In essence, he was her guard against her stupidity. He'd be the brain that thought for her before she spoke. Speaking of his cousin there she was, wearing the standard Valkyrie uniform. Her uniform was distinguishable only by the medals that populated the fabric. It was rather excessive but Frederick knew that it was credible. Kallen caught his eye and he trudged over. He'd grumble to her his complaints but she would be as stubborn-minded as ever. He tried to straighten up, he didn't want to be chastised by an idiot.

"When do I have to present?" Kallen asked a bit of excitement tinkered her eyes. It wasn't a meeting of nobles but an address to the public. She'd be able to inspire them to do better. She'd promise to protect them. Above all, she'd serve the Bible and Kaslana's family justice. In doing her due diligence, she'd protect even more people. To Kallen, God was righteous and well she didn't think much harder. It wouldn't be wrong to say that Kallen had fused the image of god with her ideals. She was following a separate but similar religion in a sense.