Chapter 20 Where Abilities Lie

Luton's morning was quite eventful. Dust kicked up from the packed dirt road and drifted through the weathered cracks of the wooden townhouses. Door to door the conversation flowed much the same.

"Now missy, you are a joy to look at. Better than morning frumenty. Bland mud water. Bloody seeds still stuck in my teeth."

"I'm sorry to bother you sure but we'd like to check a few things."

"Alright but don't wake my kids. This is for our safety?"

"Rest assured sir, you can accompany us if uncertain."

"Nah, no need. I can demand compensation if anything breaks," The man chuckled, scratching his beard. "I'm off to the fields. Thanks for making them safer."

Most of the townspeople were cooperative. A select few were a bit skeptical but only due to their nature. Luton was a town where the local lord had paid condolences out of pocket. The residents weren't so distrustful of the church even though they knew of the extra tax it commissioned. In the simplest sense, anything the church did wouldn't affect them much.

It wasn't even noon before all the houses had been searched. A few children played with the Valkyries. Hopscotch or checkers seemed to be the town's favorite games. The manor had been searched as well. Nothing suspicious was found. Nothing suspicious was taken. Eleanor and Kallen stood side by side in a watchtower that overlooked the city.

"You have a few more days." Kallen sighed, leaning over the wooden railing. Her eyes scanned the town and she couldn't help but admire Eleanor's efficiency. The Valkyries followed her with absolute loyalty and not one complaint surfaced.

"It's aggravating." Eleanor scowled crossing her arms. She leaned her back against the central pillar of the watchtower. "Why am I the only one who can sense this danger? If I had someone, no if I had Cohline we could've located the threat by now. Agh, why did you raise the level for the expedition?"

"I tested them. They weren't strong enough." Kallen shrugged.

"On what basis? On what standards? That mock battle wasn't indicative of their full capabilities. We've lost quite a few capable members including the few that make rations a decent meal."

Kallen's ear twitched at the mention of food. She made a quick mental note to find out who had such ability. She had to admit that Eleanor was right. Some skills carried values beyond strength.

"I didn't complain at first. An expedition shouldn't start with a squabble but if I'd known that morale would be at an all-time low and that I'd encounter unidentifiable dangers I would have confronted you. I'd give you a licking. I'd train you just like how Mother trained me."

"I was wrong. I can't change anything. Shut it."

Eleanor's face turned red. Kallen's words carried a nonchalant but professional tone. She hadn't turned to face Eleanor, despite her clenched fists. The fact that Kallen was acting more mature than her slapped sense back into Eleanor's mind. She took shallow breaths and then a deep one. Seconds was all it took to calm her.

"Captain Kaslana, I need help and I was hoping that you'd be able to sense the danger I'm sensing. Physically you don't have an equal and your senses should be better than mine. Of the few ideas I have I'd thought you'd be most reliable."

"Vice-Captian please don't mock me. I don't know why you can sense danger." Kallen turned and aimed an annoyed smile at Eleanor.

"I didn't mean to mock you. About what you said," Eleanor slowly recollected. "This is a most fundamental component of being a leader. You have to know what the people you lead are capable of. Know their limits and don't push too far beyond that. Cohlene was our best tactician. When it came to preparing provisions and organizing data she's the best I've seen. I can't hold a candle to her and she's also our best navigator. Preparation is her strong suit but her weakness is her slow recovery time. I purposely positioned her in safer areas because her mind was more of an asset than her strength. As for the few Valkyries that could cook, it's important to protect them as well. With enough rest, they could prepare comforting meals. You of all people should know what a good meal does."