Chapter 18 One's Duties

Luton was a small town with few landmarks surrounding it. Of course that wasn't a terrible thing, broad meadows and sparse trees made the place easy to defend. The countryside was ideal for farming, flat with rolling hills so low you could make out the spires of monasteries in the distance. There were quite a few in England and most were made up of soldiers turned priests. Their job was not just to teach the common folk but also to provide for the patrolling Valkyries. If the Holy Father didn't grace their souls, they'd surely be beyond miserable.

"Someries Castle. It's a bit of a walk from town but should we head there?"

"It's just a small chapel with a gatehouse. It can't house us and more. The previous lord donated his land to the church."

"I've heard it's because his blood ran thin. No daughters to reestablish his house and his sons met unfortunate fates."

"And you still want to head to a place swamped with infertility?"

"Better than ill-maintained barracks. Small towns can't spare time for the arrival of elite Valkyries. The few low-tier Valkyries of the town probably stay within the lord's residence too. No one lives in the barracks."

"Pre-stigma I'd agree with you. But bugs can't even bite us."

"Natural repellant, what an amazing blessing. Let all life drop dead around us! It still won't change the cleaning we'll have to do. It still won't change the fact that we'd be most likely camping out."

"We're compensated for it. Fall inline."

"They don't even have a proper apothecary. Sore medicine, sleep pills, bah I can't buy anything to make this better."

"Spoiled. So spoiled."

"Don't look down on me-"

"Company Halt!"

Kallen stopped before their designated quarters. The barracks were often the largest buildings in small towns. It had been years since she had last visited Luton but she was surprised to find that the shack she had stayed in before had turned into a bustling inn.

Perhaps bustling was an exaggerated descriptor. The place certainly wasn't packed. The doors held firm and the jovial laughter coming from within was minimal. Nonetheless, it had improved leaps and bounds beyond a shack. Instead of one floor and a basement, the inn stood three stories tall. It took up a quarter of a town block and had ample space. Freshly baked bread and a roasted pig sent flavor into the nostrils of her Valkyries.

"Vice Schariac?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"Is this the right place?"

"Yes, if my memory serves me right you refused to sleep within the old shack and found a tree to nest in for the night. The town center tree to be precise."

"I do recall something like that," Kallen murmured scratching her chin. The aroma lulled her in. It was a long journey with nothing but rations to sustain them. Dried fish and stale bread were foods barely edible in most scenarios. Though the quality of the provisions has improved in recent years, they haven't improved enough.

"Company Settle and Rest!"

"And you captain?"

"I'll go find that town tree again."

"I suggest you don't. Spend time with your Valkyries, you barely know them."

Eleanor shot Kallen a knowing look. For once it didn't seem too malicious and too professional. Simple advice made from a logical calculation? Kallen didn't know. If Eleanor had a devious plan then so be it.