CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

PLS GUYS
Wattpad is going to take away in a few days the private messages option and it breaks my heart because I LOVE receiving and sending you guys messages.

So, PRETTY PLEASE 🙏

follow me on insta so we can communicate together :

insta : @authormarieannilla

-------------

"Adieu to disappointment and spleen. What are men to rocks and mountains?"

Jane Austen

Caia

I gasped, unable to believe what Valeria had just revealed.

"No way," I whispered, sinking onto her couch. Valeria continued sorting through files on her desk, her brows furrowed, before tossing one into the nearby garbage.

"Yep, he passed away yesterday morning in his sleep, all alone," Valeria said with a nonchalant shrug.

"I guess I'll have to call Alexsei and let him know..." I trailed off, dreading the difficult conversation ahead. It was heart-wrenching to think of having to tell my husband, hundreds of miles away, that his father was gone.

Valeria stood up, a yawn escaping her lips, then moved to sit beside me, gently rocking Lukyan's stroller.

My little boy was fast asleep, his tiny red lips parted as soft snorts escaped.

Lukyan was the spitting image of his daddy.

He had Alexsei's nose, lips, and eyes—he was just a miniature version of his father. In moments like this, when my husband was so far away, my little boy was an even greater blessing.

"Already did. I called Alexsei yesterday and let him know," Valeria said, sinking into the couch with her head tilted back, eyes closed as she massaged her temples.

I arched an eyebrow, quite surprised.

I spoke to Alexsei this morning, and he didn't tell me anything.

"Oh, what did he say?" I asked, curious.

Valeria yawned again and crossed her arms, her eyes still closed. "He thanked me for letting him know and said that the Silas would take care of the rest."

The rest?

What's that supposed to mean?

Valeria let out a sigh. "And then he hung up."

Over the past year, I've attempted several times to broach the subject of Alexsei's father and the curious difference in surnames—Rovanski for him and Romaniev for my husband.

Each time, Alexsei would politely deflect, unwilling to revisit wounds he'd spent years closing.

Out of respect, I let it go, but the lingering curiosity remains, whispering in the back of my mind like an unresolved mystery.

Valeria yawned again.

"Didn't sleep last night?" I chuckled.

"No," she sighed, her eyes shooting open as a smirk appeared on her face. "Dve did this thing—"

"I don't need details," I interrupted, shaking my head. "Especially not ones involving Dve."

I got up and unlocked the safety brake of my son's stroller so I could push it to the door.