CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde

Alexsei

I tossed the bag onto Mankiev's table, and without missing a beat, he started counting the cash inside. 500k to be fucking exact.

"Perfect," he said, rubbing his hands together. "You'll see, my daughter will know how to keep you happy."

I didn't want to think too much about what he meant because I knew that if I did, a bullet would find its way in his head, so I just focused on signing our wedding contract.

Finally, I had won our little game, and now the little witch was mine and only mine.

After a night at her place, watching her sleep with her face against my chest, her warm breath on my skin, her leg tangled with mine, and the covers pulled up, I knew I had to make her mine for real.

I wanted to ensure no one else even thought about having her.

So, I snapped a simple picture, knowing it would set everything ablaze but also satisfy my damn desires.

I was hell-bent on having her in my bed, and if marriage was the only way, then fine.

I needed a wife anyway.

"Let's grab dinner tonight," Mankiev grunted, raising his vodka. "I'll make sure Caia's there to hear the good news."

I took a drag of my cigar. "Perfect."

I was sure Caia would put up a fight, maybe even try to run, but I had been tailing her for days. My days were spent ensuring her safety, but also catching glimpses of her when she wasn't looking.

She moved through the streets with her head down, lost in the rhythm of her music, seemingly trying to blend into the background.

The girl I met a few weeks ago, the one in high heels with feline eyes and confident red lips, felt like a completely different person from the one engaged in mundane tasks.

It was as if Caia embodied two entirely different personas in one.

And fuck, that turned me on even more.

Mankiev grinned, a sinister glint in his eyes. "The wedding's happening this tomorrow here, at the Manoir. That way, Caia can leave with you right away."

I nodded, blowing out a puff of cigar smoke. "Works for me. The sooner, the better."

Mankiev chuckled, taking a sip of his vodka before rising from his seat. "Just make sure my daughter knows who's in charge. If she steps out of line, you set her straight; otherwise, she can be a pain in the ass."

I clenched my fists to restrain myself from punching his ugly face.

In a twisted way, I was almost relieved that Caia was now mine.

I would never allow him near her again.

This bastard didn't deserve to be her father or have any role in her life.

Mankiev must have sensed my irritation because he cleared his throat and hastily exited the room.

I couldn't help but wonder what Caia was up to.

Perhaps she was out there, snapping pictures of unsuspecting strangers or reading heartwarming stories to her grandma, blissfully unaware that her life had taken a one-way trip to heaven.