CHAPTER EIGHT

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alexsei

"You need to ease up on the stalking. It's starting to freak me out."

I chuckled, pulling a chair across from her and settling in. "I thought I already had you scared, love."

The library was deserted on this Tuesday night, nearing 8 pm.

Caia sat alone, engrossed in three different book magazines sprawled out in front of her.

She'd been flipping through them for the past half-hour, occasionally jotting down notes. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail, and she sported a matching set of black leggings and a hoodie.

Every now and then, she'd tug on her ponytail while studying the pictures before her. Her eyes, this captivating shade of green, seemed to shine even brighter against the contrast of her dark clothes.

She was fucking stunning.

So stunning that I had this urge to just drag her by that ponytail like a caveman straight to my place.

"You don't scare me, you annoy me," she quipped, rolling her eyes.

"Ouch," I teased, feigning pain as I placed a hand over my heart. "And here I thought we were making progress."

She shook her head, a smile gracing her lips, revealing a dimple on her right cheek. "What brings you here? Decided to finally fill that empty brain of yours?"

I scoffed. "I doubt that'll help me—or anyone," I retorted, pointing to a black and white picture in the magazine before her. It depicted a naked man, hiding his penis with his hands, while red-painted hands covered his body.

"Of course, you wouldn't get it," she remarked, holding the magazine closer to my face. "This is art—a representation of unwanted hands reaching for intimate parts."

I took the magazine, placing a hand against my cheek as if contemplating deeply. "And here I thought it was just a man ashamed of his micro-penis."

She chuckled while gathering her notes and magazines into her bag. "Guess that's something you two might have in common."

Leaning forward, I rested both hands on the table between us, tilting my head slightly. "Maybe you're curious to find out."

Her gaze traced from my hands to my lips before meeting my eyes with a confident yet teasing look. "No, I'm not."

"Never say never, Caia."

She zipped up her bag, her hair cascading down from its ponytail, and donned her long black furry coat. "What brings you here, Alexsei? Don't you have better things to do than lurk around in an empty library?"

I followed her, quickly stepping forward to open the door. Despite the roll of her eyes, a faint blush tinted the top of her cheeks.

"I came to take you out to dinner, Caia," I lied, trying to cover the awkwardness of why I was truly there on a random Tuesday night.

But the reality was simple—I was here just because I wanted to see her face again.

"I'm not hungry—" she started, but I interjected, stepping in front of her to halt her movement.

"That wasn't a question, love."

She hesitated, caught between resistance and curiosity. There was a subtle tension in the air as if she was weighing her options, and I could tell she was seriously thinking things over.