CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

"I need you in NYC ASAP. It's urgent, and it's best discussed in person."

My brow arched up.

Something big was up because Angelo would never ask me to come for something that wasn't extremely urgent.

"I'll be there tomorrow," I replied before ending the call and stubbing out my cigarette.

🜊

"When will you be back?" Caia asked softly, still in her pajamas—a long t-shirt of mine that hung to mid-thigh and her panties, her hair braided, her eyes still heavy with sleep.

I had to break the news this morning that I had to leave, and my little witch was not happy—and neither was I.

"In two days, love," I replied.

She sighed. "It's too long."

I scooped up our son, hugging him tight and showering his chubby cheeks with kisses as he gripped my face with his little fingers.

"Be good for mummy while I'm away, alright?" I said with a smile, tickling his tiny toes.

Fuckin' hell.

I'm going to miss them.

Setting him back down in his bed, I handed him his lightning bolt musical toy.

"I know, baby," I said, pulling Caia closer by her hand and wrapping my arms around her. "I'll make it quick, I promise."

I could see the disappointment written all over her face as she crossed her arms and gave me a pout.

I leaned in and gently kissed her lips, then playfully tickled her sides. She couldn't help but uncross her arms, laughing as she wrapped them around my neck, pulling me closer for a deeper kiss.

Caia nodded reluctantly. "Okay."

I pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'll call you whenever I can."

I let her go and grab my bag and jacket.

"I asked Dave to come and drive you around in case you need anything," I added.

Her eyes widened in alarm. "No, not Dve!"

I glanced at her, puzzled by her sudden reaction.

"I can't-" she mumbled and shifted uncomfortably, scratching her arms and blinking rapidly. "I don't want to see him."

"Why?"

What the fuck did he do or say to my wife?

She shook her head and gestured for me to drop it. "Forget it."

"Tell me," I insisted, my imagination running wild.

"It's nothing—"

"Caia, tell me," I interrupted, my voice edged with frustration.

I'm going to kill him.

She paused, biting her lip.

"Caia–"

"Okay..." she sighed, settling back on the bed and hugging a pillow, a sheepish look on her face. "Don't say that I told you, but ... he's dating Valeria."

I stayed silent, my expression betraying my amusement.

Seeing my reaction, Caia gasped and threw her pillow at me, which I caught just before it hit my face, unable to stifle a laugh.