Chapter 59

"After careful consideration of the evidence presented before this court, including testimonies from the victim, forensic reports, and witness statements, the court finds the defendants, Theodore Sevilla, Matias Mariano, and Jackson Villaruel, guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the crime of rape."

In the face of triumph, I couldn't understand why I was not feeling so well. I should be celebrating, but something in me tells me not to. Pakiramdam ko ay may hindi magandang mangyayari.

After reading about the penalties and all that they must endure, I could only stare at nothing and feel cold.

I should be celebrating. This is a win, but why do I feel like it wasn't enough?

"The proceedings are hereby concluded."

The war is finally over, yet here I am, standing frozen, unable to process everything. Conversations from the people inside the room were like a buzzing sound. I couldn't comprehend any of them. I couldn't even hear what our lawyer and the prosecutor were saying.

I looked at the other side, only to find Theo staring daggers at me. Nakuha pa nitong magpakawala ng isang ngisi bago siya tuluyang tinangay palayo at palabas sa lugar na ito.

"Hey." A warm hand clasped mine, and I could only look at him with a troubled expression.

Why am I not happy about this success?

"What's the matter? You won," he gently inquired as he cupped my face with a hand and ran his thumb on my cheek.

"I-I... I don't know. This feels wrong. Something is wrong."

Conrad's response was to pull me into a hug and kiss my forehead.

"Let's get out of this place first, and then we'll see what could go wrong. Okay? We are going to check everything," malambing na sabi nito.

Mabuti na lamang at pinalaki ni Mommy Connie si Conrad na naniniwala sa instinct ng mga babae. Mabuti na lang din at nauunawaan nito ang sobrang pag-iisip ko sa mga bagay-bagay.

"Thank you," I breathed.

He then let go of me and carefully guided me out of that place. Nagpaalam ito kay Sarah at sa aming abogado at nagpasalamat.

Blake was patiently waiting outside. Out of courtesy, Conrad and I decided to stop and greet him—not really me, but Conrad did.

"Mr. Amadeo," he said, acknowledging Blake. Thank you so much for your help. Not that we are supposed to glorify what you did for us and thank you for it, because that is what you should've done when she came crying in your arms. Hindi ito utang na loob ni Aliyah sa 'yo, there is nothing great with what you did."

Halos sabay kaming napanganga ni Blake at napatingin kay Conrad.

I wasn't expecting that from him.

"Anyway, we'll get going because Ali doesn't feel good. Good day, Mr. Amadeo," pormal na pagpapaalam nito bago niya ako marahang tinangay palayo kay Blake.