Amendments

RUHAN

The next morning

My dadi arranged puja as she wished for me and Khushi. Yesterday all we did was play with little Khushi. Watching her with babies, a glimmer of hope for starting a family blossomed within me.

As I opened my eyes in the morning, I realized Khushi had already woken up. I could hear the shower running, indicating that she was probably getting ready for the puja my dadi had arranged.

It was 6 am. I went through my emails as I waited for her. I hadn't paid much attention to work over the past few days due to everything that had happened. Especially now that my little human was involved, I felt a strong sense of responsibility to be there for her whenever she needed me.

"Khushi, should I bring Panditji in here, or are you going to make the effort to get out?" I called out.

"Ruhan, I'm sorry, but I think I'll need your help," she responded.

"Coming," I replied.

As I walked into the bathroom, I saw Khushi wearing a blouse with the back lace untied and shorts.

"Uhhh... I don't think you can wear that for the puja," I teased her.

She threw her towel on me, "Shut up Ruhan". As I looked at her, my breath hitched. Her wet hair fell in dark strands, framing her face with a natural elegance. Drops of water clung to her skin, accentuating the curve of her collarbone and the graceful line of her neck.

"Why are you getting ready now? Puja is not until a few hours"

"Ruhan, I have responsibilities as a daughter-in-law of the house so I just want to help out Dadi and your mother before Puja starts", she explained.

"Okay, as you wish"

I walked up behind her, noticing her eyes following me through the reflection in the mirror.

"May I?" I asked, gesturing towards the untied lace of her blouse through the mirror.

She nodded with a blush. Oh god, she is gonna kill me. She looked so cute. Her cheeks were so red that she didnt even need a blush now. She is perfect. She is my goddess and I want to worship her forever.

She kept her eyes fixed on the counter as I reached to fix her lace, but I couldn't help but notice the goosebumps rising on her skin. 

As I finished adjusting her lace, I gently lifted her chin from behind, urging her to look at me. Wrapping my hands around her tiny waist, I held her carefully, making sure not to cause any discomfort to her wound. 

"Are you sure you will be comfortable in saree, around Suhani and Sid, around my family ?"

"Ruhan, I really do not have any feelings for your best friend now. It was a crush or an attraction that faded away with time. Please trust me.

"I know that baby but I just want to be sure that you will be fine"

"Okay, then my answer is yes, yes, and yes. Now can you please help me with my saree?"

I helped her get ready after I changed her dressing. She was healing now and I was so grateful for that.

She looked so beautiful in that red saree. I can't believe that this little human is my wife now. 

After she got ready, she turned to me with a small smile, holding out a box of sindoor. "Will you apply this for me?" she asked softly.

I took the box from her hand proudly. With gentle fingers, I carefully applied the vermilion powder to the parting of her hair, as if I were marking her as mine.