Truth

SIDDHANT

After I and Ruhan compelled Red to stay here, Ruhan left the house but I wanted to talk to him so I waited for him to come back. I went to Ruhan's bedroom  I saw Red had fallen asleep after Ruhan prevented her from leaving, and she was still sleeping. I noticed the scar on her hand that she got when Ruhan held her hand, so I applied some ointment. I grabbed Ruhan's T-shirt and went back to my room. I spent the whole day there, attempting to complete my assignments, something I'd never do. However, Red would've been proud, so I made the effort. I checked on Red periodically, but she remained sound asleep. 

Around 10 pm he came back. He took a seat on the couch.

"That scar... Next time be careful", I ordered

"I will. I am sorry ", he replied

"You said that I am always around her, What did you mean? and the way you're acting doesn't make sense. You just met her once and you are ready to cut someone's throat for her? Tell me what's going on?", I demanded.

"Nothing", I said getting up from the couch. 

I quickly blocked his way and asked again, "The truth Ruhan!"

"How about we start you? If you can tell me why you acted like you didn't know Khushi the day I came to your campus?", he said with his his jaw tensed.

"What are you talking about?"

"That day... I came here that day to collect some files. Finding the house unlocked, I thought you might be around so I became excited. I walked towards the kitchen as I heard noises there. I froze to see Khushi there. The girl I was looking for like mad man was in my house eating spaghetti my best friend made... What a coincidence!! I got excited at first but when I observed closely, I saw the way you looked at her, the way you were feeding her. You have never done that for any girl ever. More importantly, you never mentioned her to me. Was she the reason you had been acting differently lately?", he had so many doubts.

"I acted like that because of you. I would give up anything for you in a heartbeat Ruhan. If there was a slight possibility that she could be the reason you started believing in love again... I had to let her go!", I screamed and continued, "You also lied to me the day you called to tell me how you saw her again at the cafe!!! what about that huh?? Why did you act so surprised...like you finally found her??", I questioned pushing him

"I wanted you to believe that I stumbled upon her coincidentally, so you wouldn't think I'm obsessed with her because I was afraid that you'd let her go but YOU DID IT ANYWAYS..... you dumbass!!! ", Ruhan screamed louder.

"The truth is... I met her two years ago during my solo trip to Kashmir. It was shortly after COVID restrictions had been eased, but I always wore my mask, so they probably don't even remember me. We skied together for three days with her friends, but I never revealed my face or name to them because my family was in the headlines during that time. On the first day, I was skiing on my own and wasn't very good at it, so she approached me out of pity and asked me to join them. But then my mother got sick so I came home and after that, I never saw her again."

Ruhan continued, "Remember that short girl in the neon jacket from the pictures? She was standing in the middle of all the group photos I showed you. You laughed at how odd the color looked against the snow, remember?" I nodded, recalling the memories.

"IT WAS HERRR, Sid! When I saw her again in the club, she caught my eye once more because she was beautiful. Two years passed, her face eluded my memory from our Kashmir trip, and I failed to recognize her in the club. Yet, there was a nagging sense of familiarity about her. So, after a long drive that day at Marine Drive,  when I returned home, it suddenly clicked that the girl from the trip and the club were the same. I thought there was a reason when I met her again and this time I wasn't gonna let her go that's why I kept talking about her SIDDD!!!! That's why I hoped that I'd meet her again", he exclaimed.

There was a moment of silence.

"But then... then I saw her with you!! ", I saw a tear roll his cheek looking away.

There has to be a reason that he finally found the girl that he fell for twice unknowingly. 

My heart shattered into pieces because I loved them both ... more than myself. But to be with one, I had to let go of the other to relieve them from a life of torment. But I would never choose. 

I rushed out of the house, wanting to hide from the world. The only safe place I knew right now was Suhani, my best friend. I wanted to tell her how fucked up my life is. I rushed to her.