Chapter Thirty-Six - Something Ricked This Way Comes

I was sitting in the back while Rick and Summer were in the front. Summer had her arms folded and looking at her side, looking down at the buildings and the cars as we passed by, same as I. Minutes later, Rick then turned the wheel, making the car shift a little before clearing his throat and talking to Summer.

"Since when do you have a job?"

"Since last week. It's part-time at this little vintage thrift store. My boss is this really smart, eccentric old man that treats me nice and values me."

"Meow. Can't wait to meet this fascinating character."

"Please don't." Summer said. The car then slowed down and parked in front of the store, which used to be a juice store, forgot the name for it but Morty's teacher loved this place I guess. As I thought that, Mr. Goldenfold was seen walking out of the store with an item in hand and a smile on his face. Summer opened the door and we all walked in.

"Sorry I'm late, Mr. Needful. This is my sister, Julia, and my grandpa, Rick. They were just leaving." She said to her boss. I and Rick looked around the store, everything was old looking and... honestly kind of creepy, like what you'd see in horror movies that had cursed and creepy items. Am I gonna find the nerconomicon in here too?

"Huh. Rick said and picked up an item as Mr. Needful walked over to him.

"Tell me, Rick, what do you desire?"

"Eh, I make my own stuff." He said and then walking over to another item, it looked like a small skull with a halfway melted candle on the top.

"So, what are you, like, the devil?" He asked the shop owner, who jumped up a little and stared at Rick strangely.

"Wh-what? Sorry?" He asked that quite fast.

"I don't know, store comes out of nowhere, all the shit's old and creepy. Are you the devil? A demon? Leprechaun?"

"Grandpa Rick!" Summer said to him while climbing a ladder.

"Hey, I'm not judging. Just like to  shoot straight. I'm a man of science."

"Ah, then perhaps you could make use of this," Mr. Needful then walked over to his counter and picked up an old and golden microscope, "This microscope reveals things beyond comprehension." Mr. Needful said to him, then began to laugh. A slightly creepy little laugh, Rick decided to chime in and laughed... a little louder. Then the shop owner laughed a little louder, then Rick laughed louder and a little bit obnoxiously. Then Mr. Needful laughed louder and very obnoxiously, and so did Rick. Some evil laughter battle or something. Summer climbed down the ladder and walked over to Rick and I.

"Grandpa, go take Julia to the eye doctor." Summer said to him. Rick was somewhat surprised by Summer for stepping over and ordering him to do  something. He then got mad, grabbed the microscope out of Mr. Needful's hand and walked out. Mr. Needful grinned behind Rick, and I said goodbye to Summer and followed Rick out of the store.

The ride to my destination was kind of long, quiet. I sat up front with Rick, when I looked at him, he just stared forward with an annoyed look on his face. Obviously I'm his least favorite person, not sure what to say or how to break the silence and try to find something in common that we could have. He then pulled out a flask and drank from it. He cleared his throat and put the flask back in his coat.

"So, eye doctor? What, they're just gonna do an annual or tell you that you're still blind as hell? New stupid glasses?"

"No... I don't know.  My vision was getting all blurry for a little while. Not very blurry, just a tiny bit. Mom thought it'd be a good time to go to the doctor and have it check out."

"Ok, and when did that start happening?"

"Honestly around... the time we got to this timeline."

"So that's been going on for two weeks? Huh. Maybe it's a symptom of your illness or whatever." He shrugged.

"Maybe. Shitty, but besides that I feel fine."

"Mhm. Where's this place?"

"Just check your GPS. It should be on my side where the new Burger King is."

"Ok, I think I see it..." Rick said and we flew over to our destination. He parked in front and before I could get out, he stopped me with a question.

"So you used the goggles last night right?" I looked at him before I touched the handle.

"I... yeah, I did."

"Ok, and what did you see?"

"Um..." what do I say? Do I tell him the truth? Or do I tell him a lie?

"Well... I uh... saw myself playing an instrument, um... and a few others just showed blank, probably meaning that I didn't exist or that I've died."

"Told you not to try the goggles out. Anything else?"

"Uh... no." I decided not to talk about the last thing I've seen last night. Not really sure how to say it or what Rick would say about it. Not really sure if I saw it correctly. Rick hummed, and I was able to leave. What a weirdo.

I walked into the office and was immediately met with one of the doctors in the building with a bag of food in her hand, she must be going on break.

"Oh hey, Julia!"

"Hi, Dr. Maxwell. How are you?"

"I'm doing great, finally get to take my break and eat something. Damn toothache's been killing me. Didn't eat anything since last night because of the pain."

"I'm sorry to hear that, are you going to get it checked?"

"Maybe. The pain's over 9000, I'm surprised I'm talking. Anyways, I won't keep you. Have a good day, great to see you back."

"Thank you, and good luck with your tooth." I said to her and walked up to the front desk as she walked out of the building. I told them my name and time for appointment and they told me to sit down and wait. So I sat down and went on my phone while I waited. Forgot about that damn big piece of homework I was assigned by one of my teachers, Mrs. Alvarez. Math. It's one of my favorite subjects along with science and history, but I don't really understand why she gave me this big packet to do. I noticed when she was handing out homework for the rest of the class, everyone else had one sheet of the same thing. What I've been handed is completely different. I've already finished maybe 75% of it, all the equations are weird but easy. Kinda reminds me of NECAPS. Or whatever it was called.

"Julia?" I looked up after my name was called. I nodded and got up from my seat and followed the doctor to the room. I walked in and sat down in the chair as Dr. Ritter used some sanitizer as he greeted me.

"Hello, Julia, how've you been?"

"I've been good. How are you?"

"Been great. Nice to see you alive and well, heard about what happened."

"Ugh, it sucked."

"It must've..." He then dried his hands and then put on some gloves before sitting down on his chair as he came over to his computer.

"So, this ain't an annual... your mother told me that you've been having trouble with your eye sight?" He asked, clicking a few things on the screen as he talked to me.

"Yeah. It's blurry, ever since... I got back?"

"Hm... ok. Let's see what's what." He then had me sit up straighter a little to use the phoropter, beginning the exam.