Chapter One

"School's school. Same basic nonsense, you know... learning subjects, running into other students that like to bully for no reason and my stupid English teacher doesn't know what she's doing and saying. Most of the students are failing and the only ones that aren't are her favorites. Even the smartest students are getting C's and D's in Mrs. Stevenson's class. The only classes that I seem to catch a break in are math and science even though the math teacher seems to hate me. I love those two classes. I can do calculations easily in my head. Always getting A's. My sister Summer sometimes gets jealous she doesn't get much good grades I heard. I wouldn't know because I don't go to her classes. I'm a sophomore, she's a senior. And her friends don't seem to like me that much. I don't really have anything to say about them, just basic teen things? Um..." I crossed my legs and looked down at my hands that are rested on my lap.

"My little brother... sometimes gets bullied by this kid. I forgot his name. I help him out on his homework when his grandfather is too busy. Which is 90% of the time. A-and I don't mind that. Morty and I are pals. I'd do anything for the dude." My eyes trailed off to the bowl of small lollipops, most of them are either root beer, green apple, or peach flavored. I guess those are the least favorite flavors.

"Uh-huh. And what about your grandfather? Are there times the two of you have gotten along?" Dr. Wong asked. I looked up from my hands.

"Nope. And he isn't my grandfather. He's Summer's and Morty's. He makes that perfectly clear every time I'm in the house. H-he doesn't like me at all. We ain't got nothing in common. Ugh." I brought my left hand up and pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes for a moment or two before continuing.

"Maybe someday it'll change, but for some reason I doubt it. He pisses me off. I don't wanna talk about Rick, can we talk about something else? How much time do we have left?"

"Of course, we have... three minutes. Time flies by, doesn't it?"

"It does..." I trailed off a little, trying to think about something else to talk about.

"A few days ago my violin kinda broke, so I bought a new violin, white with a little bit of dark red streaks. I painted on it when I got it. I couldn't resist. Expensive but worth it. It sounds perfect. I'm going back to the mall in a few days to play some songs I wrote with the pianist. Gonna be playing some songs that I wrote, someday I'm hoping to actually publish my work, Deluxe album, is what I'm calling it."

"Ah yes, your violin hobby. It seems like things are going great for you."

"And it makes me so proud. Maybe someday when... or if I become some sort of famous artist, and if I've done enough, maybe I'll drop the mask, but... actually what's the point? Wouldn't change anything, really. I mean, people would know that it's me; Juliella Smith, instead of the Crimson Fiddler."

"Mm. What is the reason for wanting to conceal that part of who you are?

"Because... I mean... I thought of it. Would it stop me from being bullied for being the nerdy, Velma Dinkley slash Meg Griffin looking and strange 16 year old if I took off the mask? I like Velma from Scooby Doo, she's my favorite character, but the students who call me her say it as an ugly thing. I think I like being a mystery."

"Do you keep this secret from your family?"

"Yeah. Not sure how they'd react to my other side. They'd hear me in my room playing on my old violin. Pisses Rick off, he hates the sound of a violin played. I don't make it sound obvious, I mostly do it when I'm home alone... which is often. I don't mind it much... but I do get lonely." Suddenly I heard a small notification coming from Dr. Wong's timer, signaling the end of our session. A notification for me to get back to the real world.

"I'm afraid that's all the time we have today. Before you go, I would appreciate it if you could attempt a few tasks for me." I let out a sigh, sensing that I already have an idea of what she is about to ask, she got up from her seat.

"Ok, shoot." I said as I stood up too, stretched my legs a little.

"Do you ever talk to Rick? You could perhaps initiate a light-hearted conversation and explore topics or hobbies that you both might be interested in or have in common."

"No. Nothing works with the bastard."

"At least try to. Even if it may seem impossible. Maybe ask your parents for some guidance."

"I don't know, Doc. I just don't know anymore. Don't really see the point in it. Anyways... uh, thanks."

"Of course, Julie. Same time next week?" She opened the door for me

"Sure. Have a good day."

"You too." And with that, I walked out of the office. I took out a root beer flavored lollipop and put it in my mouth as I walked out of the building. I then dug into my bag and pulled out my black headphones and phone, turning them on to listen to some music before hailing a cab. Smooth by Rob Thomas came on, I smiled a little when it did. This song gets me in a good mood.

The time was 4:10, Sunday evening. I hopped in the cab, giving the nice driver the address. I think he might've recognized me from a few times before, picking me up at the same spot, almost the same time. I don't think he knows my name, but knows what I look like. As he started to drive, I started to text Mom, letting her know that I'm on my way from a friends house. She doesn't know that I go to a therapist. None of them do. I mean I don't think so. She was gonna make tacos tonight after she got home from work, man I love tacos. Not as much as I like Chinese food. That's the good shit.

God... I do not want to go to school tomorrow.