Chapter Twenty-Three

"Ok, Mom and Dad are on their way. Mom left work super early and Dad's coming back from job searching. When they get here, they're, like, gonna ask you a billion questions." Summer said to me, sitting down on the couch next to me. Morty was sitting on my other side, with the same expression as he did since we came here and Rick was sitting on Dad's chair, watching tv, failing to find anything worth watching. So, dimensions... this is one where Rick found a cure and... accidentally killed both him and Morty... what a terrible sight. And this is one where I'm also dead. I'm dead? How am I dead? And what even happened? I guess I'll know more when our parents come. I at least got the chance to shower before seeing them, same as Morty.

"How are you feeling? Still sickish? Dead, feeling like a zombie?" She asked.

"I'm... no, I feel fine, just... a little tired. A little hungry."

"When we buried you, you were in different clothing. You were in black, not green. And I told you before, green is totally not your color. Didn't we bury you in black, or dark red?"

"We didn't." Rick said, not taking his eyes off of the screen.

"How would you know, Grandpa Rick? You weren't there. You were hanging in your garage probably getting drunk as fuck."

"Well, maybe that's my way of mourning."

"Well... aren't you, like, stoked to see Ella alive and well? Kinda well?"

"Ella?" No one ever called me that before.

"Yeah, that's your name, Ella. We call you Julia too sometimes?" No one ever ever called me Ella. I used to be called Julesie, when I was little. The only one that ever called me Julesie was Morty when we were kids.

"Yeah..." god, what else is different in this dimension? And why is it different? Isn't it supposed to be the same except for the right antidote?

"Um... maybe you are still sick, or something."

"I feel ok. Still sick? Did I catch something awful or something?" She then gave me a look, cocking her left eyebrow a little, slightly twitching.

"Wait, you don't remember being sick?"

"What, when I was ten or eleven?" Rick then spoke up, burping and giving me a small glance.

"J-j-j- stop talking, Jules. You got amnesia, remember? And stop asking questions, Sum-Sum."

"I just want to see if she's ok, and want to know what happened and how she's... you know, here? Did you have something to do with it?"

"Maybe I did. I'm a damn genius, I'm a god and some shit. I'm just saying, she's saying she doesn't remember so why-why pry? You might just end up upsetting her, not that I care how she feels. Slow down and wait until you mom and stupid dad get here." Summer gave him a look, annoyed.

"What are you talking... I thought you, like, kind of liked her? Like accepted her as if she's your actual granddaughter? And... I'm sorry." She said to me. I shook my head at her.

"It's ok. You're alright. But I don't really mind waiting for them to get home." Also in this dimension I guess... Rick doesn't not like me? Must be nice.

As soon as he said that, we heard the front door swing open and two pairs of footsteps entering the house, then a quick slam of the door. That made me and my sibling jump, and made me nervous. Scared.

"Where is she? Wh-" That's when Mom and Dad burst into the living room, they noticed all of us sitting down. They noticed me, staring back at them. I stood up and as soon as I did, Mom immediately rushed towards me and hugged me, tightly, tighter than Summer. She ran her fingers through my hair and started to cry. I couldn't help but cry a little too. Dad walked over and joined in the hug. Then Summer, and Dad pulled Morty over to join in. Now I can't breathe. So many things are running through my mind right now, this isn't our reality. This isn't our family, I mean it is, but the one we grew up with... shared memories, ate together with and all... all left behind in a world full  of Cronenburgs. We left them behind, we may never see them again. And that stung, badly.

"Oh, sweetie," Mom pulled away and looked me up and down, putting her hands on my face and turning me a little bit, "how's this even possible? What happened? Are you ok?"

"Hey, Mom. Dad. I uh... I don't know... I'm fine, I feel fine."

"You don't look much like you did last we saw you... alive, you're almost palish white, your hair is super bright red, you look healthy enough." Dad said.

"Do you remember anything at all? Being as sick as you were? Anything in the hospital?" Mom asked. I shook my head.

"How sick was I? What did I have?"

"So... wait, you really don't remember being ill? Honey, you had some type of illness since you were little, ten or so. Your heart's on your right side, rarest blood type, no one was able to donate. The doctors said that your heart being on the wrong side wasn't an issue but you had some disease. Nobody knows what you had, they think it was genetic." I think I kinda knew some of this. My heart is on the right instead of the left, my blood type is Rhnull. Morty and Summer have B+ blood type. Comes from Dad I think? Whoever my real Mom is or was, probably had the Rhnull blood type... and if it was genetic disease then she could've had it too?

"You got super sick after school, you were in the hospital for a week before you passed away. But... how are you here? Alive and well? You're feeling ok?" Dad asked. I nodded at him as he rubbed my shoulder. Also in this dimension, I must've gotten sick often. Back at home I only got crazy sick that one time, for a whole year of school. Sucked.

"Should we bring you to the hospital to be checked for anything?" Mom was almost immediately cut off by Rick.

"Uh- no. No hospital, she's fine. She doesn't need to go anywhere."

"Dad, she just came back from the dead." Summer then jumped in.

"She said she doesn't remember coming back or anything before dying. She's really confused." Summer said.

"Ok, well. No hospitals, they're gross, w-w-w-why don't I just do some tests in the garage with her? To see what's up and if anything's not right?"

"I... fine. And what if she gets sick again?" Mom asked.

"Then I'll figure it out. But I highly doubt she's gonna get sick again. C'mon, Ju-Julia." Rick said, standing up from the chair and walking out of the room. Mom, Dad, and Summer couldn't stop staring at me, Morty had his eyes to the tv, or the wall? He was traumatized after everything, same as me. Rick's barely fazed by any of it.