Chapter 84 - Together Alone

Eve waited until Ryker had disappeared upstairs with Liam

Eve waited until Ryker had disappeared upstairs with Liam. Only then did she let Dylan in. She felt like she was letting a lion into her house. Despite all her attempts to pull herself together, she slammed the door behind her harder than she wanted. It was simply the tension released in little things like this that made her fingers stiffen.

"Don't I get tea or biscuits?"

Eve turned to Dylan and stared at him. Was he taking the piss?

For a second, she was stunned. Then she pressed her lips together into a thin line and walked past the grinning bastard into the kitchen.

"You can have water, but that's it," she replied coolly, reaching for one of the glasses to fill it with water. The back of her neck prickled unpleasantly as she turned her back to him to turn on the tap. Eve felt his lurking, attentive gaze on her. When she turned around, Dylan was leaning his bum against the worktop. She had always found that sexy in the past. Today, however, it failed to affect her.

Dylan took the glass but didn't even take a sip; instead, he put it beside him. "Kaylen, what's all this about?" he asked, his gaze lingering on her hair. "And what do you look like anyway?"

Okay, so here we go.

Her whole body tensed anew like a string pulled too roughly. How did this man smash into her self-confidence like a wrecking ball with just one sentence? Shit, that was just one of the many problems that hadn't changed. She remembered many evenings when she had dressed up and made herself pretty, only to sit at the restaurant table with a pounding heart or enjoy a home-cooked meal... And for what?

'Hey, the journey was exhausting... I just want to go to the Couch'.

'Sorry, I'm exhausted. We'll eat it tomorrow, okay? '

'Oh, the dress is new? '

'Sorry, I can't make it today. '

'Shit, didn't I tell you it was postponed? I'm sorry about that.'

She couldn't take it all anymore. Some of their mutual acquaintances or family might have said that Eve had run away like a coward. But it wasn't like that. And she had to realize that herself: she HAD been brave. She had fought; she had swallowed. For a long time. Often. Too often.