Chapter 8 - Right in the Heart

"Would you like a taste?" Evelyn asked her son, who was standing next to her with wide eyes and watching her cook

Liam was big enough to put his hands on the kitchen worktop and keep whining that he wanted to help her. He rocked his feet from his toes to his heels and back again.

"I want to stir!" he shouted, already reaching out for the mixing spoon.

"No!" Eve shouted a little too sharply. Since the incident, she had become much stricter and barely allowed the boy to be in the kitchen. Let alone help her. So she took the spoon from his hand and pushed him away from the hob with a stern look.

The broad grin on Liam's face faded a little and Eve felt as if she had been slapped in the face by the sight.

"Sweetheart," she said more gently, "you know you need to be a bit more careful with your arm." She gently stroked his upper right arm, taking care to really only touch the upper part. Under the slightly too-large chequered shirt, she could feel the bandage on his elbow and the cruel sting of guilt that came with it.

"You can have a taste, ok? And tomorrow, when I make pancakes, can you flip them?" It took her great effort to banish the brittle undertone from her voice. Pointed, stinging shards hidden beneath soft silk in her voice, pressing into her flesh. "Is that an offer?"

"Hmm..." Liam pursed his lips and let out a thoughtful hum, then smiled again and nodded as fingers clawed and tugged at the fabric of his mum's sweatshirt. "Can I throw the pancakes up, too?"

A soft laugh escaped her, sounding just a little clumsy.

"If you go to bed later, I'll make a deal with you."

Then, she stirred a few more times in the large pot and was pleased to see that the gravy had reached the perfect consistency. The savoury roast aroma was already filling the whole kitchen and slowly making her mouth water.

"So..." she began, lifting the spoon out of the pot to carefully cool the brownish gravy. "Here." She bent down to Liam, ready to help him.

Her blonde curls slipped forward like tinsel hanging on a Christmas tree while she did so and her little gentleman reached out to helpfully brush them back behind his mum's ear. Although the veil of tickling hair disappeared, the blurred veil in front of Eve's field of vision remained unchanged. The bright glow in the boy's features faded a little when he saw the red burns and cloudy coloring in his mother's eye. But then the tempting aroma of the sauce caught his nose and he hungrily opened his mouth.