Chapter 64 - Sting Of Remorse

Eve leaned against the sink and shifted her weight from one leg to another

Eve leaned against the sink and shifted her weight from one leg to another. She was still a little unsteady, so Ray found it hard to leave her alone.

"I'll stay outside the door. If you get dizzy or anything else happens, call me right away. I don't want you slipping or hurting yourself," he said sternly, turning the shower faucet and backing out of the stall.

"Okay," the redhead mumbled, tugging at her dress. Her cheeks were still covered in that enchanting blush.

"Of course, you can always call me if you want company!" Ryker couldn't help but wink at her before leaving her alone.

The water splashed dully. The steam rose and fogged up the windows and mirrors.

Ray hadn't closed the door, but he had only left it ajar enough to block his view. After leaving the bathroom, he leaned against the wall opposite and repeatedly stroked his straight, brown hair. The desperate gesture had completely disheveled the strands and given visible expression to the storm inside him.

Again and again, his eyes fell on the dark wood, behind which the crackling sounded and distorted the tones. He didn't want to leave her alone—not after everything that had happened that evening and certainly not because she had been drinking and a lot could happen in the shower. But he understood Eve wanted to rid herself of the sticky mixture and possibly clear her head.

Perhaps also because of what had happened between them in the hallway?

Did she regret it?

Had he gone too far?

Worry tightened his chest like iron chains binding him. Only a moment ago, he had wondered what was worrying him so much. He didn't know what to do with the strange feelings piling up inside him like little pebbles daily.

But even he, who had run away from so much for years, could no longer hide from the facts and turn away from what was so obvious: he had feelings for Evelyn... Kaylen... whatever, he didn't care now. The name was unimportant—just a few letters on paper. A name said nothing about the kind of person behind it. More important, at least for his situation and the whole problem, was her real last name: Conner.