Chapter 6 - A Warm Welcome

During the journey through the embrace of the forest, Eve's remaining anger finally subsided

During the journey through the embrace of the forest, Eve's remaining anger finally subsided. The extinguished fire left only the painful sting in her heart. Eve swallowed harder and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

»Shit,« she mumbled hoarsely, wiping away the first one that was already making its way down her cheek in one agitated motion.

No.

No, she couldn't let this throw her off track.

»You have to be strong,« she told herself. Then she turned up the volume on the radio and tightened her grip on the steering wheel before she began to sing along loudly. 

What could be more healing for the soul than the right music?

A little later, the dense rows of trees revealed Pineview Cottage. The cozy guest house was just a stone's throw from the shores of Everbreeze Lake on a small clearcut. If you hadn't known where the Cottage was, you would hardly have found it because its rustic stone construction and dark grey shingles blended seamlessly into the surroundings.

The triple-story building had a large, old chimney made of solid stone, from which white smoke rose and spread with the wind. A small bay window stretched its round belly towards the forest, and a sloping roof spanned the veranda, under which two rocking chairs stood next to a small table.

Behind the house, a wooden walkway led out onto the lake and to a flat platform by the water and a small boathouse. As the double doors were open, a tiny boat could be seen bobbing in the water in the shade of the little house.

A greenhouse with a few ivy vines and other wild plants rounded off the harmonious picture. Not far away, a swing attached to ropes swayed gently back and forth under a thick branch.

Many years ago, she had come here on holiday with her parents as a child. The place was nothing more than a distant memory of when they had arrived here. Even if the beauty of the childhood memories could no longer compete with the faded image of the here and now, this place still had a very special magic. It meant security and refuge to them and was full of happy memories.