Chapter 55 - Storm Brewing

It took a little while and a few glasses

It took a little while and a few glasses. But then the angular stone inside her slowly but indeed sank into the cozy warmth that the alcohol planted in her system. Eve knew why Riona was so successful as a bartender. She knew how to get someone to reach for their next glass, make them laugh, and break down their hesitant reticence bit by bit.

No doubt the shots liked to get her participation. Still, it was just a nice evening at some point, even though Riona dragged her onto the dance floor, and they laughed together about her inability to dance. Still, it felt easy with her. So easy, in fact, that Eve eventually stopped staring at her cell phone to make sure there were no messages from Ray on her voicemail.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun. At least at the beginning. At some point, the inevitable happened: Riona was a beautiful woman, and it wasn't long before the first guys turned up.

Only someone who had been insecure before could understand what it felt like to stand next to them as they vied for Ri's attention, more or less suitably under her nose. And although Ri was a good friend and politely sent them away, something inside Eve shifted slightly. Perhaps also because the next guy wasn't long in coming, who wanted to claim Riona's attention on the dance floor - and Eve felt increasingly disturbed.

She seemed to like the guy with the black hair and square jaw who was currently standing at Ri's table with his friend. Jason? Jackson? Something along those lines remained whether Eve would have to remember the name.

His buddy had probably given in quickly when he realized that Ri preferred his friend and had settled for the fallen fruit for the time being. But only until Eve had been foolish enough to brush her hair back out of stupid habit did he glimpse the scar underneath. Immediately, the slight hint of interest turned to pity and polite distance.

»I'll get the following drinks,« she finally said, stepping away from the table momentarily and weaving her way through the crowd towards the bar. She had only taken a few steps when a hand gripped her wrist, and she looked up into Riona's worried face.

»Eve, are you okay?«

'No.'

»Sure,« she squeezed out a somewhat weak laugh and nodded in Jason/Jakson's direction. »I just don't want to bother you guys all the time.«