Prologue

Faster! Help! Somebody!

Only incoherent thoughts flashed through her mind.

Rescue.

Someone had to save her!

The night was freezing cold, and even the round full moon hid its face behind some clouds from the terrible sight in the forest's depths.

A young woman stumbled but just caught herself and ran on. The icy cold of the unforgiving winter seemed to settle into every pore of her skin as she ran through the thick snow in the darkness of the Sprucemist Woods. Her breath pushed white clouds into the night air while the sharp pine branches seemed to attack from all sides. The white blanket of snow crunched under her hurried steps. Again and again, twigs or cones dug through the snow into her bare feet, but she didn't stop.

She had to run!

She had to flee; she had to escape!

Suddenly, a jolt stopped her. Her heart pounded in her chest; sheer panic shot through her veins like poison. But no one was holding her. It was just a branch caught in the hem of her dress.

»No... no, no, no!«

Her usually gentle voice was just a brittle whimper.

"Let go!" she hissed at the fir branch as if she could give it an order.

She hastily tugged at the fabric. It gave way with an audible rattle, and she didn't let a second pass before she turned around and ran on. Her fingertips were already numb, as were her toes, but she couldn't think about that.

The dress she was wearing barely protected her from the cold. The thin fabric was undoubtedly made for summer, and the large yellow sunflowers on it looked just as out of place in this snow-white winter landscape as the person wearing it.

Like one of the yellow flowers on her dress, it was as if she had been torn from a midsummer night's dream and thrown into a nightmare. Her long blonde hair had recently been tied into a carefully braided plait. Now, the strands hung disheveled in her sweaty face from the icy night wind.

The young woman turned round again and again.

All around her was nothing but dark forest as far as the eye could see. It seemed to stretch endlessly in front of her, and the trees were like enchanted giants, stretching their branches threateningly into the sky. The snow covered the ground like an impenetrable blanket and muffled her every step as if nature itself was making common cause with its pursuer.

But the cold did not bite hard enough to make her turn back. Nothing in the world could have done that. She was like a deer fleeing from the snarling hunter. Headless, aimless, disorientated. She only felt the fear of death driving her forwards.

Just get away, no matter where!

Her strained lungs burned so much that every breath seemed like fire. Her heartbeat roared in her ears, rushing like a torrential river and making any clear thoughts seem far away. Nevertheless, she ran. On and on she went. She couldn't think about anything else.