Chapter 4 - Totally Nuts

With a hearty yawn, Evelyn put her mug of tea back in the cup holder and leaned back in the driver's seat

With a hearty yawn, Evelyn put her mug of tea back in the cup holder and leaned back in the driver's seat. The many ancient giant trees that reigned unchallenged over this wild, colorful land passed her window as distorted silhouettes. Everything was still damp and clammy because it had been raining all night.

Music was blaring from the radio - Adele with Love in the Dark.

"𝖳𝖺𝗄𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖾𝗒𝖾𝗌 𝗈𝖿𝖿 𝗈𝖿 𝗆𝖾 𝗌𝗈 𝖨 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝗅𝖾𝖺𝗏𝖾. 

 𝖨′𝗆 𝖿𝖺𝗋 𝗍𝗈𝗈 𝖺𝗌𝗁𝖺𝗆𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝖽𝗈 𝗂𝗍 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗐𝖺𝗍𝖼𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗆𝖾. 

 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗂𝗌 𝗇𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋 𝖾𝗇𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀, 𝗐𝖾 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝖻𝖾𝖾𝗇 𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝖻𝖾𝖿𝗈𝗋𝖾

𝖡𝗎𝗍 𝖨 𝖼𝖺𝗇′𝗍 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗒 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾 ′𝖼𝖺𝗎𝗌𝖾 𝖨 𝖽𝗈𝗇′𝗍 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖺𝗇𝗒𝗆𝗈𝗋𝖾..."

»Please, stay where you are. Don't come any closer. Don't try to change my mind,« the light voice sang along softly, feeling a bitter sting in her chest. It still hurt. But it was getting better. It was no longer tearing her apart, and soon, she would be able to sleep through the night again. She was sure of that.

Sighing softly, the young woman reached for the rear-view mirror and turned it a little to see better. An exhausted image looked back at her from the reflection. Her blonde hair fell in wild waves around her chubby face and shoulders. Her right eye remained hidden under her fringes, which tickled her cheek across her forehead - better this way, as she only had to see some of the dark circles that already adorned it. It matched her pale complexion and lips, curving downwards at the corners all too often lately.

»It's getting easier.«

Oh boy, now she was already trying to convince her reflection.

A soft whimper sounded beside her, and the young woman stroked the big German shepherd's head. Then she put the indicator on and turned the corner. The gravel crunched softly under the wheels.