Chapter 14 - The Old Lady

The next few days flew by for Evelyn

The next few days flew by for Evelyn. At first, it was unusual to have another person in the cottage. But soon, a strangely pleasant dynamic developed with the initially unwelcome guest. By now, everyone was getting on well. Riona helped where she could and worked from late evening until early morning in the bar on the next trunk road.

Eve cared for the housework and looked after her bedridden grandmother before delivering her baked goods. Ray took care of the manual labor in the house during this time. Not just the big jobs but also the small ones that had accumulated in the old house over the years. As a thank you, she always gave him something from the deliveries - muffins, cinnamon buns, or other little treats. There was a pleasant harmony in the house, and Eve only now realized how much she and Ri had been disturbed and burdened by the many shortcomings all this time. Ray really was a great help to them.

When one of the stairs to the attic groaned under her footsteps, she decided to tell Ray about it later. He wanted to take a closer look at the door to the attic today anyway, as it had unfortunately - like many others - become a little warped over the years.

So, with the almost familiar squeak of the hinges, she entered her silent flatmate's room after a polite knock. The old lady was lying on a bed with pretty ornaments and patterns that her late husband had made especially for her and, despite her trembling fingers, was busily crocheting a pretty green shawl for Riona.

»We're having porridge today, Edana,« Eve announced, pushing the tray onto the wooden side table beside the bed with a soft clatter. »I've also added some homemade jam. I know you prefer it sweet.«

Unfortunately, Riona's grandmother had been bedridden for some time, so she only sat in bed to eat breakfast, do small jobs, or listen to some music. She spent much of the day looking at old photos and simply reminiscing. At the mention of breakfast from her homeland, her green eyes lit up noticeably, and the old lady with the already white hair smiled good-naturedly.

»Porridge,« she repeated blissfully, and her eyes glided over the small bowl of jam and the scones, which she recognized immediately. There was also a pretty porcelain cup with a floral pattern on the tray, on which Edana's favorite tea had small white curls. »You're a great help to us, Kay.«