Chapter 72 - Into the Woods

The forest's scent quickly enveloped her under the shade of the pines and fir trees

The forest's scent quickly enveloped her under the shade of the pines and fir trees. Like the other seasons, Autumn carried its distinctive scent, enticing Eve more than once to pause, take a deep breath, and listen to her heartbeat.

Dying leaves and damp earth, mixed with the nuances of conifers and spicy mushrooms, swirled by a cool wind.

It was a time of change. Something old ended only to bring forth something new after some time of rest. Something fresh and strong.

It was exactly what she needed.

Except that she didn't feel strong or fresh at that moment.

How could she have been so stupid as to embark on this spontaneous hike?

The small flame of motivation quickly extinguished when she realized the Chucks she had put on for the hike were anything but suitable. While Ryker's boots had no problems with the uneven game trail, it was a completely different story for her shoes with their stupid and far too-thin soles. Crap. After the first hour, she would have preferred not to take another step, as every stupid stone seemed to drill straight into the soles of her feet. Soon, it hurt with every step - but she didn't want to complain.

Firstly, it was because of Ray, but above all, it was because of Liam, who was having a great time on this outing. The little rascal hopped over fallen tree trunks, climbed over large boulders, and ran ahead on the path with Chief - who obviously shared the little man's joy - to "spy" on him.

"We can take a break," Ray said, and Eve wasn't sure whether to take the smile on his lips as sympathetic or insulting. "Look, there's a bench up ahead."

She smiled wryly. She didn't have the breath for an answer.

'Pull yourself together. You won't get fitter just standing in the kitchen baking cupcakes. Liam wants to see the cave, so you'll make sure he sees it,' the young mother encouraged herself. She felt a little boost of motivation, at least for a short while—at least for the next few meters, until it went uphill to the bench Ray was talking about.

She was incredibly embarrassed that Ray and Liam had to slow down because of her. But she couldn't keep up with the former soldier and the young bouncer in the long run, both of whom had stamina for ten, unlike her.