Ch.31 Welcome Home

[Short Chapter]

Poppy Beifong was a ray of sunshine as she watched her children hug. She smiled as she held back tears, trying not to break down. Although, her husband Lao was seething at the sight.

"My babies.. home at last.." Poppy wiped away a tear. She walked forward, Y/n and Toph finally separating. She opened her arms and they rushed to her, hugging her. "My babies..."

"That's enough!" Lao shouted. "I will not stand here and be disrespected in my own home!" Lao took several steps forward, glaring at Y/n. "If you think I will allow you, a stain on this family, to be welcomed back with open arms? Then you are mistake."

"Lao!" Poppy shouts.

"Father-" Y/n takes a step, letting his mother and sister go.

"I am not your father!" Lao shouted.

"Yes, you are!" Y/n rushed forward, getting in Lao's face. "You may not like it, and I don't know why, but I am your son. I don't know why you didn't take me back or why you dispise me, but I have done great things in my life. I was the bodyguard for royalty, I'm an exceptional fighter, I'm the Vanguard of the Avatar, and the descendant of Avatar Kyoshi. You should be proud."

Lao stared down his son, a wretched look of disgust plastered on his face.

"You'll never be like Kyoshi." Lao spat before turning on his heel and leaving the room.

For some reason, that comment stung Y/n in his heart. His face sank as he looked to the ground. Poppy came up behind him, resting her hands on his shoulders.

"Its okay, dear.. he.. didn't mean it."

"Yes.. he did.." Y/n turned and walked towards the others. Katara and Kumar tried to comfort him, rubbing his arms.

"Dont let him get to you." Katara said. "You'll be even better than Avatar Kyoshi." Y/n didn't respond, only nodding his head.

"Maybe we should turn in for the night?" Aang suggests, a bit awkwardly.

"Yeah, the moment is kinda ruined." Sokka comments before Katara elbows him in the side. Poppy shows them all to their rooms, leading Y/n last.

"This was your room when you were a child." She opens the door to a well kept room that had been very well maintained. Their was a small box of toys in the corner, pictures of a small child around the room, and a bed that seemed a bit small for Y/n. "I've kept it exactly as it was when you were taken. I've never allowed dust to settle."

Y/n walked over to the bed and sat down. He ran his hand along the silk sheets, feeling their softness. Poppy walked forward and knelt down in front of him, smiling. She cupped her hands around his cheeks and kissed his forehead. Y/n took his mask off and brushed his hair out of his face, giving Poppy her first clear view of his face. She lightly ran her hand along his charred flesh, her heart breaking with how damaged he was. She saw his fake eye, and shed a tear thinking of how both her children had lost their sight in different ways.

"You know.. I saw your match with Toph in the arena." Poppy said, smiling slightly.

"You did?"

"I'm so proud of how strong you and your sister are." Poppy kissed him again. Y/n hugged his mother before she got up and left the room. "I love you." She said before closing the door.

Y/n smiled and undressed for bed. He curled up in his bed, smiling before letting sleep take him.