Ch.23 Riverside Practice

The sun was shining on another gorgeous day in the Earth Kingdom as the gang was flying over a mountain range on Appa. While most of the gang was relaxing on the flight, Kumar was less than calm.

"Oh my gosh!" Kumar shouted in slight panic. "How can you guys do this so much!? Oh.. I.. I think I'm gonna puke.." Kunar shouted before holding her hands over her mouth and going slightly green in the face.

"Maybe we should stop for the day. We have been flying for a few hours." Aang said chuckling. Aang steered Appa towards the ground and they landed next to river. As soon as Appa touched the ground Kunar jumped from the saddle and ran to a nearby tree. The sound of wretching could be heard as the group unloaded their things. After a few moments, Kumar came back breathing slightly heavy.

"Feel a little better?" Y/n asked, rubbing small circles on her back. Kumar whimpered a little bit, but nodded.

"I dont want to fly again." Kumar said frowning.

"Sorry, kid. Better get used to it, we have a lot more flying to do before we get to Omashu." Sokka said.

"How much further is it to Omashu?" Kumar asked, holding her stomach.

"Its still another two days before we reach the city." Y/n said, patting Kumar on the head sympathetically while the young girl whined. "But for now, let's have a rest." The group took the time to unpack and set up camp. As they unpacked, Kumar decided to go play in the water while Y/n went up to Aang.

"Aang, I think maybe you should train." Y/n said.

"Train? In what?"

"Well, I know that we're planning on King Bumi being you're Earthbending teacher, but I dont think it would hurt to teach you the basics on our way there. You know, to help."

"Yeah, that makes sense."

"Actually, Y/n, Aang still needs to practice his water bending." Katara said, walking up to them.

"Also true. What do you think, Aang? Your call." Y/n said.

"I think I'll stick with waterbending for now. Save the earthbending for later." Aang said.

"Fine by me. If anyone needs me I'll be practicing down the river a ways, just holler if you need me." Y/n said before walking off. Katara and Aang waved before walking into the river to start practicing. As Y/n left, Kunar watched him go, but she decided to follow him.

She followed Y/n for several minutes before he stopped by the riverbank. When he did, Kumar quickly hid behind a tree and started to watch him. Y/n started by practicing by earthbending small stones and tossing them across the river.

Kumar watched him closely. As Y/n practiced, he demonstrated his mastery of the mantis style of fighting. Kumar was enthralled by his movements, she had never seen anyone move with such power and precision. After a while, Kumar began to mimic his movements.

She stayed behind the tree and copied his moves for almost two hours. At one point, Kumar took her eyes off Y/n to swat a fly and when she looked back, Y/n had disappeared.

"What the? Where did he go?" Kumar stepped out from behind the tree and walked over to where Y/n was previously standing.

"Enjoy the show?" Y/n said appearing behind Kumar. The young girl yelped and spun around.

"How'd you do that?"

"I moved when you were swatting that fly."

"Wait, did you know I was watching you?"

"The whole time."

"How? I'm so good at sneaking. I didnt make a sound." Kumar said, annoyed. Y/n chuckled and patted her on the head.

"Let's just say I've learned how to see without seeing. Comes in handy since I'm missing an eye." Y/n smiles at the young girl.

"Well, that doenst answer my question. But, can you teach me some of your moves? I want to fight like you." Kumar asked with stars in her eyes and a determined smile.

"I dont know. Think you can keep up?"

"Absolutely!" Kumar shouted enthusiastically.

"Alright, I'll train you. But we do it my way, no complaining."

"You got it."

Kumar and Y/n stood at the riverbank and Y/n instructed his newly acquired student on the proper stance to take. Over the next several hours the two stood by the river practicing, Kumar copied every move her new teacher did. She wasnt perfect by any means, her footwork was sloppy, she was slow to respond, and lacked power in her strikes, but she was learning. Despite her less than amazing performance, Kumar enjoyed herself.

It was nearing sunset when Y/n ended practice and the two started back for camp. However, Kumar had forgotten her shoes and went back to get them.

After retrieving her shoes, the fly that was bothering her earlier had returned. Kumar decided to try out her new training on her mortal enemy.

"Take this you stupid fly!" Kumar shouted as she thrusted her palm forward. She missed the fly, but after performing the attack the water in front of her suddenly erupted outwards across the river, startling the young girl.

"What the heck?" She said looking at her hands. Curiously, she performed the move again and the same thing happened.

"Kumar! Did you find your shoes?!" Y/n shouted from down the river.

"Um.. yeah I found them! On my way!" Kumar looked back at the river before running off towards Y/n. She rejoined her teacher and they walked back to camp, all the while Kumar would take a glance at her hands.