Ch.18 The Siege of the North

It has been several weeks since Aang and the gang have arrived at the Northern Water Tribe and everyone in the gang has been busy. Aang and Katara have excelled at Master Pakku's training, Sokka has made a good impression on Princess Yue, and Y/n has been keeping in shape by working out, much to the enjoyment of some of the water tribe girls. But their merriment is cut short when black snow begins to fall from the sky.

Y/n: "The Fire Nation."

The water tribe scrambles to prepare a defense. Everyone gathers on the city hall as the chief addresses them.

Chief: "The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. They will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the Ocean, Spirit of the Moon, be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission-"

Sokka rises to his feet.

Sokka: "Count me in!"

As the chief continues, several others rise to their feet from the crowd.

Chief: "Be warned, many of you will not return. Come forward to recieve my mark if you accept the task."

The volunteers step forward and are branded by the chief. Before he steps away, Sokka looks back at Yue. Outside, Aang and Y/n look off into the horizon, the city below then quiet. Imoto is perched on Y/n's shoulder. The chief walks next to them.

Chief: "The stillness before battle is unbearable. Such a quiet dread."

Katara joins them outside.

Aang: "I wasnt there when the Fire Nation attacked my people. I'm gonna make a difference this time."

Y/n: "I am the Vanguard of the Avatar, but today, I am the Vanguard of the North. The Fire Nation will descend upon us like a great storm, but they will break against me like water on rock."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's late into the day. The warriors of the water tribe line the outer wall of the city, ready for battle. Aang sits upon Appa while Sokka, Katara, and Y/n stand on the wall with the warriors. In the distance, a ship could be seen coming over the horizon. A bright light could be seen coming towards the wall, and its soon revealed to be a flaming boulder fired from the ship. Before the boulder could hit the wall, Y/n crushed it into dust in mid air. The ship continues to fire at the wall, Y/n destroys as many of them as he can, but several hit the wall and city.

Aang flies off on Appa and attacks the ship. Aang lands on the deck and begins to destroy the catapults on the ship. With help from several water tribe boats and benders, the ship is incapacitated. However, as Aang leaves the ship he is met with the full mighty of the Fire Nation navy. A fleet a hundred ships strong.

As the navy descends upon the water tribe, Master Pakku, his water benders, and Y/n do their best to destroy or stop the incoming fore from the ships. As the day approaches its end, the navy halts its attack and drops anchor. Aang returns to the city and is met by Katara, Yue, and Y/n.

Aang: "I cant do it. I can't do it..."

Katara: "What happened?!"

Aang: "I must have taken out a dozen fire navy ships, but there's just too many of them. I cant fight them all."

Yue: "But you have to. You're the Avatar."

Aang: "I'm just one kid."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~