Ch.28 Something More

Oza awoke the next morning in searing pain. The events what transpired the night before were fresh in her mind and couldn't help but feel sick to her stomach. She tried to push herself out of bed, but she was stopped by the arms of Ty Lee wrapped around her.

The pink acrobat was still sound asleep with a small smile. Oza stared into Ty Lee's face, taking in her soft features. A flush of pink spread across her face as she rose a hand to cup Ty Lee's cheek.

Ty Lee subconsciously sank into Oza's touch, feeling the warmth of the princess' hand.

"You were always there for me." Oza whispered.

~10 Years Ago...

Ty Lee ran across the garden of the Fire Lord's palace. The sounds of a screaming girl filled her ears as she turned a corner.

Sitting on the ground next to the garden's turtleduck pond, was Oza. She was crying and clutching at her wrist.

"Oza! What happened?" Ly Lee ran to the princess and dropped to her knees.

"I.. I burnt myself..." Oza sniffled, tears running down her cheeks and a glob of snot running down her nose. Ty Lee reached out and took Oza's hand, seeing the small burn on her wrist. "I... I tried to firebend... like Azula but..."

Ty Lee smiled and pulled Oza into a hug. She then ripped her sleeve off her shirt and wrapped it around Oza's wrist, covering the burn.

"You need to be more careful, Oza. Fire is dangerous."

"I just want to be like Azula and Zuko. They're so good at firebending and... I'll never be as good as them." Oza played with a blade of grass. Ty Lee smiled and wiped away Oza's tears and snot with her other sleeve.

"Yes, you will. You'll be one of the bestest firebenders in the whole world."

"You.. you think so?" Oza looked at Ty Lee, a sparkle of hope in her eyes.

"I know so. I'll be there with you when you prove it."

~~~~

Oza smiled, her eyes drifting to Ty Lee's lips. They were perfect, just like the rest of Ty Lee. Oza drifted closer to her, closer and closer. She was an inch away from her when Ty Lee suddenly shifted and moved her head to the crook of Oza's neck. Oza froze and mentally berated herself.

"What are you doing, Oza?" She asked herself, running a hand over her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~

Aang and the gang had stopped by a river for the day deep in a forest. They had been flying for nearly a day and it was time for a rest.

Sokka had fashioned a spear from a stuck and sharp rock and decided to fish in the river while Aang practiced his waterbending by pushing the fish towards Sokka.

Kumar was taking a nap with Momo and Imoto inside Y/n's sleeping bag under the shade of a tree. Y/n was watching over Kumar with a smile when Katara walked up.

"She finally got some sleep." Katara said, smiling down at the her.

"She was so bent on staying awake with the rest of us. Wanted to prove how tough she is." Y/n chuckled.

"She's plenty tough, but even the tough ones need sleep." Katara said. She took a moment before looking up at Y/n. "Hey, do want to take a walk with me?"

"Sure." Y/n smiled under his mask but he had a strange pit in his stomach.

Katara and Y/n walked down the bank of the river until they were out of eye and ear shot of the others.

"I assume you had a reason for bringing me down the river." Y/n said facing the water, plucking a stone from the bank. He turned the stone in his hands as Katara stood next to him.

"Yes... I'm.. I wanted.." Katara rubbed her hands together, tripping over her words. "I wanted to say I'm sorry, Y/n."

"What for, Katara?"

"For... kissing you in the cave. Before we made it to Omashu. I shouldn't have done that.. I just.. I know I shouldn't but.. I can't help but think about you."

"You're my friend, Katara. You always will be." Y/n took the stone he was holding and threw it across the river, the stone skipping across the water. "I'm not angry at you, not anymore."

"I just... was there any chance you and me could have been together?"

"If things had happened differently. I always wondered what would have been different if I was never taken by the Fire Nation. Maybe you and I would have met elsewhere and fell in love."

A tear fell from Katara's eye. She wiped it away and slowly took Y/n's hand in her own. Y/n squeezed her hand as they looked out over the rushing water.

"If things had happened differently..." Katara stepped closer to Y/n, resting her head against his arm.