Ch.15 The Deserter

Team Avatar was making their way down a forest path, near sundown, when they came across a notice board at a crossroads.

Katara: "This should give us an idea of what's around here."

Sokka: "See if you can find a menu. I'm starving."

Aang pointed to a poster on the board.

Aang: "I bet we'll find something to eat here, The Fire Days Festival. Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians.. this would be a great place for me to study some real firebenders."

Y/n: "Not only that, but a fire days festival is a great place to have some fun. I've been to a few when I was younger, plenty of food and laughs. Quite a spectacle if you're an outsider."

Sokka went around to the other side of the board.

Sokka: "You might want to rethink that. Look at this."

The rest of the group went around and saw a wanted poster of Aang on the board.

Y/n: "A wanted poster. This isnt good. We should keep moving."

Aang: "I have to learn firebending atbsome point, and this could be my only chance to watch some masters up close."

Katara: "It shouldn't hurt to check it out."

Sokka: "You want to walk into a Fire Nation town when they're all fired up with all their.. fire?"

Katara: "We'll wear disguises. And if it looks like trouble, we'll leave."

Sokka: "Yeah, becuase we always leave before we get into trouble."

The team made their way to the village the festival was being held at. Sokka, Katara, and Aang wore cloaks and masks to hide themselves. Y/n didnt need to since his face was already covered by his cowl.

The festival was filled with men, women, and children laughing and having a splendid time. Decorations adorned the buildings and streets in celebration. Puppet shows were held for the smaller children and magicians performed on stages.

Y/n: "You three go on ahead. I'd like to look around."

Katara: "Okay, we'll meet you back here later."

Y/n went his separate way, looking at stalls and glancing at the occasional show. The entire time, he was smiling under his cowl. As he walked, a small child bumped into him.

Little Girl: "I'm sorry."

Y/n: "Its alright, little one. Run along, find your mother."

The little girl runs off. As Y/n about to walk away, he's pulled into an alley by a young woman. Y/n jerks away from her and readies his sand.

Li Fa: "Wait, young master. I mean you no harm."

Y/n: "Who are you?"

Li Fa: "My name is Li Fa. I serve your family."

Y/n: "My family? My family abandoned me a long time ago. They want nothing to do with me."

Li Fa: "That's not true, young master. Your mother still loves you. When she lost you to the Fire Nation all those years ago, it broke her heart."

Y/n: "Then why was I turned away when I returned home three years ago?"

Li Fa: "Your mother had no choice but to follow the wishes of your father. He is the one who disowned you, not your mother. After you were turned away, your mother sent me and several others out to look for you, to bring you home. It was then that she decided to ignore your father's wishes."