Ch.1 The Boy in the Iceberg

We open to a brother and sister of the Southern Water Tribe, Katara and Sokka, fishing out in the water in a canoe. Sokka is holding a spear leading a fish while Katara has her back to him.

Sokka: "Its not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn, Katara. This is how you catch a fish."

While Sokka is busy, Katara sees a fish in the water and takes off one of her gloves. She moves her hand in fluid motion and an orb of water rises into the air with the fish inside.

Katara: "Sokka, look."

Sokka, who has his back to his sister, ignores her with his spear raised.

Sokka: "Shh, Katara. You're gonna scare it away. I can already smell it cooking."

Katara: "But, Sokka, I fought one."

Katara continues to move her hands in fluid motions trying to keep the fish inside the water bubble. She moves it above the boat to put it into a basket, but Sokka raises his spear and disrupts the water, soaking himself and releasing the fish.

Sokka: "Why is it that every time you play with magic water I get soaked?"

Katara: *sigh* "Its not magic its water bending. And its-"

Sokka: "Yeah, yeah. An ancient art unique to our culture, blah, blah, blah. Look, I'm just saying that if I had your powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

Katara: "You're calling me weird? I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water."

As if proving her point, Sokka is flexing to a reflection of himself in the water. However, it was at that moment that their boat was caught in a current and began to speed through the water towards some ice. Sokka tries to steer the boat another way but the boat gets crushed between two large slabs of ice, and Sokka and Katara are thrown onto one of the slabs.

Katara: "Nice work."

Sokka: "You dont like my steering? Well maybe you should have waterbended us out of the ice."

Katara: "So it's my fault?"

Sokka: "I knew I should have left you home. Leave to a girl to screw things up."

Katara gets angry at Sokka's remark and begins to shout at him. However, in her anger she began to throw her arms behind her at every outburst, inadvertently cracking a large iceberg behind her. Sokka tries to calm her down but in her anger she continues to break the iceberg until finally, it comes apart and crashes into the water.

Sokka: "Ok. You've gone from weird to freakish, Katara."

Katara: "I did that?"

Sokka: "Yep. Congratulations."

From below them in the water, a bright blue light appears. From the water a large, spherical iceberg emerges radiating a blue light. Inside the iceberg, Katara can see a young boy and a large creature. The boy has arrows tattooed on his bald head and the back of his hands that are glowing. The boy suddenly opens his eyes and reveals that they are also glowing.

Katara: "He's alive. We have to help him."

Katara reaches into Sokka's coat and pulls out his war club and races to the boy's aid. All the while Sokka races after her telling her to get back. Katara reaches the iceberg and begins to hit it with the club. After a few good hits, the iceberg cracks and sends a large beam of light into the sky.