Ch. 8 The Winter Solstice, Part 2

Its early in the morning, the moon is still in the sky as the sun hasn't risen yet. Aang and the gang are preparing to leave as the villagers give them supplies for their journey. They get onto Appa and fly off. By the time the sun has risen they are over the ocean headed for the Fire Nation, with Prince Zuko and Princess Azula hot on their heels.

Iroh: "Sailing into Fire Nation waters. Of all the foolish things the two of you have done, this is the most foolish."

Azula: "We have no choice, uncle."

Iroh: "Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished the both of you? What if you're caught?"

Zuko: "We're chasing the Avatar. Our father will understand why we're returning home."

Iroh: "You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type."

Zuko spotted Appa through a telescope and orders his helmsman to go faster. From the deck of their ship a catapult was raised holding a large boulder that was covered in pitch. Azula and Zuko lit the boulder, and fired it at Appa. Thankfully, the boulder missed.

Katara: "We have to get out of their range before they shoot another at us!"

Y/n: "Cant Appa go faster?"

Aang: "Yeah, but there's just one little problem."

Zuko: "A blockade."

In the waters ahead of them, a line of Fire Navy ships patrolled the borders of the Fire Nation.

Iroh: "Technically, we are still in Earth Kingdom waters. Turn back now, and they cannot arrest you."

Aang: "If we fly north we can go around the  Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade. Its the only way."

Katara: "There's no time!"

Y/n: "If we dont run the blockade we may never reach Avatar Roku. Avatar Aang, we must go through."

Aang: "Are you sure?"

Y/n stands up and takes out every grain of sand he has and hardens it into two large sand shields hovering on either side of Appa.

Y/n: "They will not break my defense."

Aang, Katara, and Sokka smile as they face the blockade.

Aang: "Appa, yip yip."

Appa roars as he flies straight at the blockade.

Zuko: "He's not turning around."

Iroh: "If the Fire Nation captures either of you, there is nothing I can do. Do not follow the Avatar."

Azula: "I'm sorry, uncle. Run the blockade!"

From the deck of the lead blockade ship, Commander Zhao sees Appa and Zuko and Azula's ship.

Zhao: "The Avatar and the banished prince and princess. This must be my lucky day."

Captain: "Commander Zhao, what are your orders?"

Zhao: "Shoot the bison down, Captain."

Captain: "But there's a Fire Navy ship out there, sir. One of our own. What if its hit?"

Zhao: "So be it. It belongs to traitors. Ignite!"

Zhao fires a barrage of flaming rocks at Appa and the gang. Several rocks come close to hitting Appa, but Y/n uses his sand shields to block them. As the boulders smash into his shields, chunks of rock and sand fall into the ocean.

Sokka: "Y/n! Your shields!"

Y/n: "Keep going, Lord Aang! I will hold!"

The boulders that missed Appa fall into the ocean around Zuko and Azula's ship. One eventually hits the back of the ship in a fiery explosion.