Ch.19 Family Secret

Rain poured on a peaceful Earth Kingdom town. The Fire Nation had yet to reach it. It was the dead of night, the moon was hidden behind storm clouds. Thunder cracked and lightning lit the sky ablaze.

A young girl awakens from her slumber with a start. Her sleep gown and pillow is soaked with sweat. She is breathing heavily, doing her best to calm down. The young girl stares ahead, but she sees nothing as her eyes are as pale as snow.

Toph: "That same dream again. Hearing voices in my sleep, I must be going crazy."

She swung her legs over the side of her bed and stood up. She left her bedroom and walked the halls of her large manor home to the kitchens, avoiding the guards as she goes with ease.

She reaches the kitchens and gets herself a glass of water and takes a sip. She smiles as the cool liquid passes her lips. She makes her way back down the halls towards her room but she stops in front of a particular door not too far from her room.

This room is the only room in her home that she has never been inside. The door is always locked, not even the guards are allowed inside. The only person with a key to the room was her mother. Toph would often spy on her mother entering the room when she could, and from inside all Toph ever heard was her mother crying and apologizing over and over again to someone named Y/n. Toph always wondered who this Y/n was. Was he someone her mother hurt? Did something happen to him? Was he a family member? These questions plagued Toph. Her father never allowed her to leave the manor, despite her mother's protests. Toph doubted anyone outside the manor walls even knew she existed, except for her persona as The Blind Bandit in the underground fighting rings.

???: "Toph? What are you doing up?"

Toph turned in the direction of the voice. She was so consumed in her thoughts that she failed to notice her mother walking towards her.

Toph: "Sorry, mom. I got thirsty."

Mother: "That's alright, you surprised me is all. I'll walk you back to your room."

Toph's mother gently took her by the hand and guided her back towards her room.

Toph: "Mom, who's Y/n?"

Her mother stopped in her tracks. Her grip tightened around Toph's hand.

Mother: "Where.. Where did you hear that name?"

Toph: "I heard you one day in the locked room back there. You were crying and kept apologizing to him. Who is he?"

Her mother quickly bent down and grabbed Toph by her shoulders.

Mother: "Toph, listen to me, you must never utter that name. Especially around your father. Forget you ever heard that name and forget about that room. Do you understand?"

Toph could feel her mother's heartbeat, she was scared. Toph had no idea why, but she knew it wise to listen to her mother.

Toph: "Okay. I understand."

Her mother sighed with relief and took Topg back to her room. She tucked Toph in and placed her water next to her bed. She kissed Toph goodnight and left.

She made sure Toph's door was closed all the way before walking back to the locked room. A bolt of lightning cut across the sky as she removed a key from her nightgown. She inserted the key and unlocked the door.

Entering the room, she closed and locked the door behind her. The room she was in appeared to be some sort of alter. Toys and other items that belonged to a young boy were on shelves and pedestals. She walked to the far end of the room to the back wall. Before her was a shrine stand that held a small, green blanket that was neatly folded. Above the blanket on a head stand was a white mask.

 Above the blanket on a head stand was a white mask

And on the wall above the mask was a large picture. In the picture was herself holding a small boy in her arms as he also held a baby girl with pale eyes. The boy had a large smile as he held the baby close.

She reached her hand out and gently stroked the boy's face in the picture as tears fell down her cheeks.

Mother: "Oh, my sweet baby boy. I'm so sorry, Y/n. If only I was strong enough to protect you when you returned to me. How I wish your sister could know you..."

She dropped to her knees and began to cry. Her cries were drowned out by the pouring rain and crack of thunder outside.

Mother: "Ancestors... forgive me for abandoning my son... Great Avatar Kyoshi, protect Y/n and guide him.. wherever he may be..."