Runaway

SUMMARY:
Y/N needed to escape her life in Vegas, but in doing so, she needed to leave behind her best friend and crush - Spencer Reid. Luckily for both of them, fate had a plan.

——————————

1993
Y/N needed to escape. Y/N needed to break free, as soon as possible.

When it comes to parents, Y/N - unfortunately - pulled the short straw. For as long as she could remember, her parents were divorced. According to aunts and uncles, her parents relationship was toxic. Combine that toxicity with cheating and you've got a deserved divorce.

~~~~~~

Y/N knocked on her best friend's bedroom window at 11:45 PM, watching as he put his pencil down and turned around, his face dropping at the sight of her injured.

"Y/N! Oh my God! What happened to you?!" Spencer quickly opened his bedroom window, letting Y/N inside.

"Damn it's cold out there. I think that it'll start pouring down soon." Y/N exhaled, putting her duffle bag - with 95% of her belongings inside - down on the floor near Spencer's bed.

"Y/N, look at me. You're wearing a thin sweater and leggings, so that's why you're cold. But you're bleeding." Spencer gestured to the cut on her forehead. He quickly got some medical supplies to bandage the cut while she took a moment to breathe.

"Oh...that." Y/N sat down, trying to relax herself.

"What's going on? You've never just shown up like this before." Spencer sat next to her.

"I'm leaving Vegas." Y/N admitted.

"What do you mean 'leaving Vegas'?" Spencer furrowed his eyebrows.

"I mean, I'm getting out of Vegas as soon as possible. I can't stay here anymore, Spence." Y/N explained.

"You're 12, Y/N. How on Earth are you gonna get out of Vegas?" Spencer looked at her confused.

"Stole $250 from mom. She'll be too drunk to notice. Besides, you're going to Caltech, at 12 years old." Y/N noted.

"That's different, Y/N. I've graduated from high-school already, and you're what, gonna run away? What about your mom or your dad? Surely they'll miss you?" Spencer shook his head.

"Did you not hear me when I said that my mom wouldn't notice $250 going missing from her bedroom because she's always drunk?" She scoffed.

"I- I thought you were joking." Spencer admitted.

"I'm not. Look, the truth is, I'm escaping because of my parents. My mom is an abusive drunk who spends her time drinking or finding the tiniest excuse to beat me. That's why I cover myself with long shirts, long pants and oversized jumpers. As for my dad...he doesn't care about me. The only person he cares about is his wife. I overheard her convincing my dad to send me to a boarding school, and he agreed. If I don't leave soon, my dad and step-mom will send me away and my actual mom won't care because she'll be too drunk to notice." Y/N sobbed, unable to hold back her tears. Spencer immediately wrapped his arms around her.

Spencer had made it very clear since she'd known him that he doesn't like physical contact. He even explains to people that it'd be safer to kiss.

So, when he hugged her, she was shocked, yet mostly surprised, although she welcomed his warm embrace.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. I wish I could've noticed sooner." Spencer muttered as he pulled away.

"Don't be sorry, Spence. You couldn't've done anything anyway." She shook her head.