Good...or bad?

SUMMARY:
Spencer's panic rises when his crush, Y/N, uses his first name for the first time since he met her.

——————————

Y/N
It wasn't unusual for members of the BAU to be referred to by their last names, or by a nickname. For example, instead of saying 'Spencer' to get his attention, almost everyone used either 'kid' or 'Reid' to get his attention - or 'Spence' in JJ's case.

It had been 1 year and 6 months since you joined the team and somehow, no one could find a good nickname for you, so they stuck with your last name.

It had also been 1 year and 6 months since you developed a huge crush on Spencer. Something about him caught your attention, and to this day, you still liked him. Although, you were too scared to say anything, because gossip - more specifically crushes - was a topic that spread like wildfire.

You had tried several time to show your affection toward him. Whether it was small glances shared between you and him, or simply giving him a smile to show that you were interested in his rambling when the team told him to shut up. Somehow, he hadn't once picked up that you liked him, which made you question his title as the 'genius' of the team.

For weeks, you had tried to find a way to make your feelings known. You were tempted to tell Penelope who'd promise to keep it a secret, before eventually being "forced" to reveal the secret. You quickly shut down that idea after it sounded like something a 14-year-old girl would do when she had a crush. That's when you came up with a simple idea. Since the team used nicknames and last names instead of first names, you were going to say his name, and see what happened.

SPENCER
For 1 year and 6 months, I've had an undeniable crush on Y/N. We met on her first day in the BAU. She held the elevator for me and when I saw that the 6th button was already pressed, I knew she was heading the same place as me. She saw a book sticking out of my satchel and expressed her interest in the book and that's what we talked about for the duration of the elevator ride. As soon as I heard her name, I mentally smiled. Y/N, such a beautiful name. As we headed into the BAU bullpen, I held the door for her and I earned a genuine smile from her. Ever since that day, I've slowly - but surely - developed a crush on her. I love glancing over at Y/N to see her typing away at her computer. I love watching as she tries to avoid Derek's questions about her love life. I love how naturally she fits in with the team. I love how comfortable she is around the other ladies of the BAU, Penelope specifically.

Of course, our relationship has been mostly friendly. There have been days were a particularly difficult or angering case will piss her off and she snaps at me, but I know that it's not me she's truly anger at, and she always apologises with a free coffee.

———

We had just gotten back from a case that, once again, involved children. Each of us packed up our belongings for the day once we got back to the office. I went to grab my keys, when I saw Y/N walking over to me.

"Hey, Spencer, I was wondering if I could get a ride home with you? My car's in the shop and it looks like it's about to storm outside." Y/N asked.

"Of course. Just let me get something from Derek and I'll meet you down at my car." I nodded, my heart racing. I watched as Y/N walked off, heading for the elevator.

"You okay, kid? You look like you've just seen a ghost." Derek chuckled as he walked over to me.

"Y/N has never said my name before. I'm not sure if I've done something good...or something bad." I exhaled.

"Why would her saying your name mean something bad?" Derek furrowed his eyebrows.

"Because no one uses my name unless there's something serious or bad going on." I reminded him.

"Okay, calm down. Don't profile Y/N, just profile her words." Derek exhaled.

"She asked me to give her a ride home." I nodded.

"Did she sound annoyed, or maybe pissed off?" Derek eyed me.

"No. She sounded...I don't know." I shrugged my shoulders.

"There you go. Unless you can tell what she's feeling through how she speaks, don't immediately assume that something's wrong. You do that, and a lot of misconceptions can happen." Derek smiled before letting me go. I basically ran down to the parking-lot, seeing Y/N reading a book while she waited for me.

"Shall we go?" I asked as we both got into my car.

"Let's go. I have a comfy blanket and some hot cocoa waiting for me at home. The faster we're out of this storm, the better." Y/N nodded as the rain hit the roof my car.

The entire duration of the ride was different. I tried to keep my hands from shaking by gripping the steering wheel. The sound of the rain was drowning out my rapid heart beat.

Eventually, I pulled into the small parking-lot of Y/N's apartment building. I didn't hesitate when walking Y/N up to her apartment. She unlocked her front door before turning around, facing me.

"Riding the metro during this storm would've been hell. Thank you, Spencer." Y/N smiled.

"It was no problem. I'm happy to be your uber until you get your car back." I reassured her.

"I might just take you up on that." Y/N moved a bit closer to me. I stood still, not wanting to do anything stupid. Within seconds, her lips were inches from my face.

"I hope you have a calm night, Spencer." She said my name one last time as she placed a gentle kiss on my cheek.

"I hope you do too." I couldn't help but do the same. I placed a gentle kiss on her cheek, watching as she immediately blushed. With that, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. Her using my first name was nothing to worry about.

———

Y/N
You couldn't believe what you had just done. Not only had you just kissed your crush's cheek, but he had kissed your cheek as well, seeming just as nervous as you were. You watched as he left you in front of your apartment, a clear blush on his cheeks where you had kissed him.

Hopefully now, he'd finally realise that you have a crush on him and maybe...just maybe, he'd like you back.