{Fate United Us - DL 🌠}

"Wait Joel - did you just take fall damage?"

Joel looked up, seeing that Etho had taken fall damage just as he did.

"Yeah, I did. Why?" Joel asked, clearly confused.

"Wait, let's try something." Etho put his pickaxe away, and held his hand to his face.

"Ready?" Etho asked. Joel nodded. Etho punched himself in the face, and Joel winced as a slight phantom pain ran up the same side of his face as well. So, now they were soulmates. That was it.

"Well, what do we do know?" Etho asked his soulmate, looking around.

"I don't know.. Maybe we finish up mining and then we should build a base once we got resources?" Joel suggested. Etho agreed, and the two went back to mining. The silence between them felt eerie, even if they were both too scared to say anything. It had been awkward, when they found themselves as soulmates, so for now, the silence continued to fall between them, until Joel broke it.

"So, I think I have everything I need, what about you? If you're finished, then we can head back onto the surface." Joel mentioned. Etho looked up, just finishing up mining one last block.

"Yeah, I got everything I needed to. C'mon, let's go." Silently, Etho took Joel's hand and started to walk toward the exit of the mine. Joel followed along, his fingers tracing the scars on Etho's hand as they walked.

[----------]

Once they got out onto the surface, the sun was already setting, casting a magical glow onto the server. Etho's eyes shined, as Joel's hair also became shiny thanks to the glow of the sun. The two soulmates stood, forgetting what they had wanted to do minutes earlier.

Both were too distracted on the other.

Thanks to the sun, they both looked ethereal, and they couldn't take their eyes off each other as they stood, the sunset behind them. Slowly, Etho pulled his mask off, and Joel got to see his soulmate's face for the first time.

Running through his red eye, the scar continued to run down his face, stopping at just below his mouth. It was like a full-face scar, with another small scar close by. When he smiled, his scar raised slightly, just like it was smiling too. Slowly, as if not to startle Etho, Joel reached his hand up to trace the scars on his face, which caused Etho to shiver slightly.

"God, you're so beautiful.." Joel mumbled, still tracing the scars. Etho took his hand and kissed it, which caused Joel to go bright red and for Etho to laugh, the sound filling Joel's heart.

"You're beautiful too." Etho whispered, cupping Joel's face in his hands.

"Thanks, I know that I'm very beautiful." Joel joked, which caused Etho to laugh again.

Etho spun Joel around, pulling him closer as he planted a kiss to the top of his head. Joel went bright red again and laughed, kissing Etho on the cheek.

"You know, I love you, really." Joel whispered, the voice in his head saying that it was true.

Etho smiled again, holding Joel closer.

"I know. I love you too, Joel." Etho murmured, his face getting tickled by Joel's hair.

The two soulmates stayed like that for a while, just them, and the ending sunset behind them.

Fate had definitely united the two, and they didn't care. At least they had each other, and that was all they needed.