Chapter 36

Ishita

“I think I know where Damien would be. His home.” Bonnie said to me while shaking my arm to get me out of the sudden faze. I didn't know why he asked me such a question but it felt like it was our last time.

“Come. Ishita!” She dragged me out of the Hardy’s house and led me to her car. She was driving at full speed, as fast as she could. My heart was picking up panic and deliberately slowing down itself, unable to anticipate the future possibilities.

Normally, I do dislike how far Damien had lived but right now, I was hating it. Each minute was counting and with each passing minute, we were losing any chance that we can use to make things right or at least, can try it.

I sighed and leaned my temple against the car’s window to support my heavy burdensome thoughts. And then, we were there. At first glance, it didn't seem like Damien's home, not from any angle. Because dozens of police cars and cops were surrounding the whole property as if it was a prison.

Confusion spread across my features immediately as I stormed toward the house between the thin space provided to me by the cops. No one stopped me until I was a few meters away from getting inside.

I didn't know which lady cop clutched my arm but she held me tightly in my place, “Ma’am, you can't go inside.” She told me.

“My, my husband is there.” I said. Her face remained unchanged when I tilted my head to take a glimpse of her hurriedly.

“I don't care whose wife you are. Right now, it's a criminal spot, and a criminal is hiding inside.” She spat at me, hatefully. Even though I knew that hate wasn't exactly directed at me. It was for the fact whose wife I was.

I didn't fight with her because it was useless. I stood there and yelled his name loudly, requesting him to come out. Requesting him to have a conversation with me. How worried I was out here for him. But silence was the only response I got from the other end.

I noticed an ambulance and a fire brigade’s trucks were also present. I couldn't understand why. Are they executing a mission here to get Damien out of the house by hook or by crook? That no longer mattered.

All of a sudden, we all heard a loud sound of a blast inside the house. In a few seconds, we saw the door and windows blown away by the pressure of smoke there and soon, the whole mansion was enveloped in a massive outbreak of fire.

“Damien!!!” I screamed from the bottom of my throat, my eyes glistening uncontrollably. First it was that lady constable and now it was Bonnie who clutched me in both of her arms to provide me support.

“Ishita. He will be alright.” She mumbled in my ears.

“I won't believe it unless I see him.” I replied to her.The cops and fire brigades came forward to deal with the flames covering the external surface of the field to stop it before it gets massive.

I realized the constable’s grip on me had been loosened, she was getting occupied trying to figure out what was happening and Bonnie stood like a numb statue, somehow holding a hope in her that her brother would be fine.

I took that as a chance to sprint up to the main door. Fortunately, I was too fast that they weren't able to catch me, neither was I able to feel the burning heat of the woods. I called his name again, running up and down, checking all the rooms and compartments. Then I heard his voice. “Ishita.” He whispered, his voice sounded like he was in too much pain.
from a storeroom in the basement.

“Damien?” I tried to follow his faint murmurs, it led me to the same basement where I saw that dying melting man, however, the gate of that room was not only locked but jammed as well, that even if we had a key, we won't be able to open it without a force and we had no time for that. “Oh, God, I can't open this damn door!” I cried out helplessly.

“Don't,” He trailed, “Don't waste your energy, Ishita. Leave this place right now.” I can't get rid of the fact that he is using all of his last ounce of strength to talk to me.

“I can't! Are you alright? Tell me a way to break this, Damien! You must have thought of a plan while you built this!” I shouted so he could properly hear me.

“Leave, Ishita.” He repeated.

“Please. I can't live without you, I love you!” I cried, banging my hands against the iron. I can see the guise of blood all over my hand’s skin, but I didn't care. I wanted my husband alive or I am dying with him.

“Don't make it harder for both of us, Ishita. This place will turn into ashes, you’ll have to live for Nia!” He exclaimed, was his voice shattering?

“And you’ll have to live for me! Promise me!” At that moment, I could see death for both of us, and yet, I had no idea what promise I was looking for. If the Devil promised me to save my husband in exchange for my life, I was ready for that as well.

“Go away.” He ordered.

I shook my head, “I’ll rather die here with y-” My statement got interrupted when I felt a pair of arms across my waist, pulling me back. Taking me away from my husband. I turned and saw Hardy behind me.

“Leave me, Hardy! Damien is right behind that door, we need to save him!” I said, in hope that he will bring help or do something at least.

“The house is about to collapse, Ishita! We can't save him! Come on!” He dragged me back. I kept screaming and screaming to let me go. He didn't. A few more officers joined him and forced me out of the burning house. I kept pleading to them if they could get him out safely. I couldn't help but watch my husband left behind to die.

World count- 1057