Chapter 1

                   CHAPTER ONE

The deafening shouts of argument jolted me up from my sleep, I couldn't help but grasp a handful of the duvet I had on my body as I lifted my head from the pillow to dart at the locked door of my bedroom.

"Enough, Sania!" My brother-in-law, Ravi exclaimed, making me flinch in fear. I never heard him raise his voice before, especially in the middle of the night, "If you have so many problems with me, you can leave me right now!"  

"Yeah, of course, I knew it! You are saying this because I wasn't able to give you a son, right?" My sister, Sania, sounded anguished. It's not required to see her face to get a hint that she is currently drenched in her pool of tears when her voice crammed with lumps gave it all away when she spoke.

"What nonsense?! You know how much I love you and our daughter," He opposed. I heard him slamming his hands somewhere because a loud noise of glass shattering reached up the stairs, it probably must be the dining table then, that got sacrificed between the ongoing drama of husband and wife.

Did he slam his hands only to prove a point to her? I asked myself as I dumped the duvet away, I got up in a sitting position to avoid straining my neck and listen properly to what they were arguing about. 

"No, you don't! If you had loved our daughter and me, we wouldn't be having this conversation at this hour!" She shouted with all her willpower to make sure our neighbors woke up and witnessed the drama going on inside our house to demonstrate how cruel my brother-in-law is and how innocent my sister is, which is the opposite. I can bet she will go through a sore throat first thing in the morning. “You even lied about not having an affair with a bitch from your office!”

Unexpectedly, I heard a strong slapping sound, ensued by a whine from my sister. Did he just slap her? My eyes widened automatically in shock, I never took Ravi for a man who can raise his hand on any woman, let alone my sister.

“Get one thing straight in your thick skull, I could be anything but not a cheater!” With that, a loud thump of the front door closing and the engine starting could be heard. I realized that he left the house. 

Before I knew my feet led me to the door as soon as I opened it to go out, Sania stepped inside while sobbing uncontrollably, she tried to look at me through her swollen red visions, tears had strained her face completely, and her hair was slightly disheveled too. 

She held out my arms, "Ishita!"

"Sis, are you okay?" I asked and before she could reply,  she lost her balance and fell to my feet, appearing semi-unconscious, "Oh God!"

I grabbed the jar of water from the small table near the bed and held the top edges of it to her lips, she slipped a bit and dragged herself to sit against the bed.