Chapter 26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

"Ma-Baba, h-h-ho-ow can I…?” I stuttered. I really wanted someone to wake me up by throwing cold water onto my face and say whatever I am seeing, whatever I am feeling, whatever I am going through is just a bad dream that will end.

After days and days of holding myself back because of Sania, keeping her and my parent’s wishes before mine, I thought I found someone in the middle of the chaos who wanted to be with me regardless of how many problems I caused him, he became my friend, I fell in love with him. When I finally admit my love and how I couldn’t imagine a day without him around me. Then God sent my family here to take away everything that brings a smile to my face and peace to my heart. But all I ever ask for a bit of happiness, am I not deserving of such a small thing?

“It’s decided, Ishita. We aren’t here to ask your answer.” Mom replied, it was that moment where I realized she couldn’t be more cruel. I couldn’t say for sure if she reminds me of Sania or if Sania reminds me of her through this selfish behavior.

“It will be better for everyone if you happily agree for our marriage. I don’t wanna force you,” Ravi spoke. His voice and words struck me like a needle to my ears. If I am feeling something other than helplessness, it is anger toward my brother-in-law. His eyes are shining, there’s a slight blush on his cheeks and a hidden smile on his lips as if his long time pending dream is now going to become a reality.

I always thought that it was Sania who didn't love him but it has always been both ways. I am stupid that I didn’t see it coming beforehand. I heaved a deep breath and looked at Ravi with my sharp gazes as if I could slice him with them, “Do you mean you’ll force me if I don’t agree?” The anger I wanted to hide appeared in my tone anyway.

“Ishita!” Mom yelled, “Behave yourself. Is this how you are going to talk to your soon-to-be husband?”

I didn’t reply to her at all.

“Can you two just let her process? It isn't easy for her.” Dad intervened in order to protect me. I barely had any energy left in me to fight them. Mom got up out of frustration when she felt she wasn't going to get any verbal answers from my side, and my silence was louder than actions that we all can sense here.

She grabbed my wrist and dragged me to my room, “Ma, what are you doing?!”

“That I should have done before.” She said, beginning to collect my clothes and other stuff from the cupboard and threw them into a bag. I watched her acting like a woman who lost her sanity. I said nothing throughout the time she was done with packing my bags. I didn’t call for Damien either because I knew he is already aware of what is happening here. “Get up, we are leaving,” She declared, giving my stuff to Ravi to hold while she grabbed Nia.

Walking without my will or desire, I forced myself to follow her downstairs where I saw Damien patiently waiting for us while sitting on a dining table. He met my eyes, where he could read everything that took place in his study. He sighed deeply and got up gradually, having a strong hint of how the next conversation will go.

He approached my mom. Surprisingly, he made no utterance, just stood with a stern face, blocking our way out, “Do you think you can stop me?!”

No reply, he simply caressed Nia’s face, she smiled at him, yet Mom faked being disgusted by his closure and made a childish attempt to hide the baby in her dupatta.

“Damien,” My father called him, “Please, don’t bring more problems into our lives,” He literally joined his hands together and pleaded to him. It made Damien clench his jaw, he hated emotional blackmailing, especially if it was coming from someone he respects. He did step back not after leaning down and whispering something into her ears.

“She’s mine.”

The statement astounded both my mother and me since the amount of guts it takes for someone to confess their love in front of their partner’s parents but here, he declared it so openly and fearlessly that I did not want to go anywhere now.

As my tear blurred gazes met his soft champagne ones, he blinked his eyelids as an indication that I should go with them. We began to walk as we crossed the door frame and entered the open space of his property, I couldn’t lift my foot further, even Nia cried like she also wished to stay with him, she was closer to Damien than any of us combined. “What happened, Ishita?” Ravi questioned when he observed that I was no longer walking.

Then, I felt his gaze softly grazing the back of my skin, he was behind me, he was watching me go. Something in me told me that I was not the only one who felt the pain of separation. He felt it too. It was both harmful and calming to know I was not alone in this, he would be there. I had to be patient until our reunion if there is any. And before I took my leave, all I could think of was him, so I knew what I was going to do. I ran back to him, I didn’t think about the consequences of my action and where it would lead me. I needed him and I know just that. He didn’t waste a moment holding me against his chest. A hug won’t help my burning soul. I knew what could help me but my mom and Ravi separated me from Damien.

“Ishita, come,” My father extended his hand. I helplessly accepted it as I sat inside the car and watched his figure disappearing from my sight as the car drove away. What a hilarious thing it is. There was once a time where all I wanted was to get out of this house by any chance, fearing his presence, and now I wanted to go nowhere, leaving him behind me.

 There was once a time where all I wanted was to get out of this house by any chance, fearing his presence, and now I wanted to go nowhere, leaving him behind me

Word Count- 1000