Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

“I used to work for Wylder Industries as a peon in my early thirties when Mr. Benjamin Wylder visited one of the Indian branches of his companies, I remember he was accompanied by his both sons, despite that I was nothing in front of him, he treated me fairly better than I’d have ever anticipated, and in Damien,” Father looks at the owner of this house while continuing the story further with a gleam sparking in his eyes, “All I ever seen is a kid who knew how to respect everyone in the room irrespective of your position and standards, Unfortunately, I never got much in contact with Micheal, as he was used to staying busy with his father, nonetheless, it is no hard to say how good their upbringing was, it was visible in their behavior,” 

Only if he knew what kind of man Benjamin Wylder was in reality, I bet he would have thought thrice before praising him. 

“I still remember the taste of that masala tea you used to make for us in the office’s canteen on Dad’s order. I must say that Ishita has gotten it from you,” 

The resistance it takes to not spit the food out of my mouth is too much, I glanced at Damien, he had a smirk on his lips at the mention of my name. Father smiled proudly at me, “I know right? I am glad it passed down to at least one of my daughters, even my mother-in-law agreed to my marriage with Ishita’s mom simply because I made her a delicious tea.”  

This made all of us laugh, “How is Sr. Wylder and your brother?” Father asks.

Damien keeps his spoon down, letting it hit the bottom of his plate, he left a heavy sigh, “They are no more,”

“Oh. I am sorry, I didn’t know,” He apologizes quickly and sadness spreads across his features as he processes the words, “He was a great man and I am sure, your brother was exactly like him.  A wonderful person,”

Damien choked back laughter of irony, it could've been missed by my family because they don't know his background but I do, and the pain behind that laugh was clearly visible to me.

"Surely." He replies.

"Baba, why have you never told us about this?" I diverted the conversation, hoping that it would give him some time to recover from hurtful memories. 

"Working as a Peon wasn't something I am proud of, it was an embarrassing experience for me, I learned a lot from it though. " Father says to me and then they go on conversing about random stuff like politics and all. 

Later, the silence in the living room was eating me away because my father decided to finish his dinner within a couple of minutes despite telling us all the time to eat slowly and chew the food properly and got up to walk into the open space in front of the mansion to free his legs.

While Mom was having a serious talk with Sania and Ravi. It left me alone. I went upstairs to check on Bonnie, but she was already asleep so I headed back downstairs to the kitchen.