Chapter thirty-four

TW: Mature reading ahead

Pollie Ashford's POV

"papà, che diavolo?" Romeo snapped as I stood wide eyed and unmoving.

Everyone in the room stood waiting for my response but I just couldn't seem to function like a normal human.

I mean come on, couldn't you give a girl a break? I've had a stupidly stressful day and now I have to deal with this shit? I did not sign up for this.

"Well, what a lovely name it is you have, it's so nice to meet you." Sarcasm and an act of overloaded positivity laced my voice as I beamed at Romeo's presumed father. "Seems you have a good assumption on who I am so if you'll excuse me I'm just gonna come back later." I went to turn on my heel and leave, but Enzo re grabbed me by the shoulders.

My slapped on happy face retuned. "Enzo buddy, unless you don't want to have children in the future, I'd seriously reconsider your actions." I watched him gulp nervously as his eyes flickered behind my head. No doubt he was silently asking for backup from a group of men who were currently chortling at my comment.

Too bad I wasn't joking.

"You have three seconds." I warned as he released me.

"Good boy." I bowed my head, exiting the kitchen but not before hearing the older guy make a comment.

"I now understand better."

Me not understanding, or giving a shit, I chose not to head upstairs, but to head back to the front door. I pulled my coat back on whilst I walked rather hurriedly before shutting the door and heading for the elevator.

My fingertip was a mere centimetre from the down button when the front door slammed shut and footsteps came rushing in my direction. I turned to meet them though I already knew who it was.

"Rome, I just need a breather." Romeo cupped my face, scanning it and frowning.

"Are you pissed at me?"

"Not gonna lie, I'm a little frustrated that you didn't think to shoot me a quick text just to give me a heads up? I mean come on Rome, that's your literal father in there! Not to mention that Xavier guy, what the hell is he doing here, I thought you hated him? And all that shit from your dad before I even got a hey, how are you? I didn't need to walk blindly into that after the day I had so yeah. Fuck you." I smirked at the end which was the giveaway to me not actually being entirely unhappy with him.

Sure he annoyed me a little, but I just wanted to use someone as my venting machine.

My head dropped forward as I banged it slowly against his toned chest. "Feel better now?" He asked as I froze against him.

"All I wanted to do was to chill out on the couch." Rome chuckled at my exhaustion above me whilst his arms encompassed my body in a hug. He rubbed my back, comforting me as I felt the tension in my body beginning to diffuse.

"Anyway, how're you? And what's with the house guests?" My arms were wrapped around his waist with my cheek rested against his chest.

"Dad came round earlier to discuss things, I didn't know he was bringing a guest." The insinuation of Xavier Colton still sounded as bitter as the last time I heard it from his lips. "Turns out Xavier is here because he's formed alliance with my father." He looked down to my confused expression.