Chapter 24 - Smart Mouths and A Curious Mom

The Next Day
Beyoncé POV
4:21 AM

I freed myself from Megan's grasp and kissed her cheek. I looked at the clock and sighed. I woke up a few minutes ago and despite numerous attempts, I couldn't fall back asleep.  I rubbed my eyes and put on my house slippers.

Today was the day my parents would be meeting Megan. They met before but never my girlfriend. I woke up with instant knots in my stomach.

My mom already knew about Megan and she's been happy for us both so I wasn't that worried. I was definitely more worried about my dad meeting her though.

My dad can be very hard to please. Dad and I can be perfectionists and he tends to take it to the extreme. It's always been hard having your dad as your harshest critic.

The panic attacks and late-night crying sessions were just a part of the package. It took me a while to realize that that also played a part in my unrealistic standards of myself.

I sighed and looked around for something to do. I saw a few books on the coffee table and rearranged it by height. It still looked off so I arranged it by author. I tried different ways - by color, by the book I read most, books I planned on reading, and the list goes on. As I rearranged the books, I noticed a yellow sticky note on one of them.

"If you see this, I know you're fixing shit again and probably overthinking. I'm here for you and I love you <3"

I put the books down and laid with Megan. She moved in her sleep as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I kissed her softly and pulled me in closer, thanking God once more that I have a partner like Megan.

———
Megan's POV
1 PM

I was cooking mini waffles for a little snack and I heard Rumi and Sir coming down the stairs. I turned the stove off and set aside the waffles before following their voices to the living room.

"Owwww, Rumi stop taking my toy. Give it back, please. It might break." Sir said. I saw that Rumi was holding his Inuyasha action figure that I gave him.

"Why are you being so mean today? First, you wanted my Legos so I let you play with it and now you want my Asha." Sir said with a pout.

"Rumi, please give Sir his toy back," I said sternly. I placed one hand on my hip and Sir looked at me with those puppy dog eyes. I knew he was close to tears already.

"I don't wanna," Rumi said as she ran from the living room. I heard her go up the stairs, Sir and I followed her. We struggled to keep up but eventually, she ran into their playroom. Rumi was on the floor giggling, Inuyasha action figure in hand.

"Rumi, we've asked you nicely. Please stop with this attitude. I'm being serious - drop it." I said as Sir hugged my leg.

Rumi stopped laughing and a mischievous smile appeared on her adorable little face. "Okay," she said before she walked over to the sofa and stood on it, dangling the toy before dropping it on the floor.

"Rumi, why would you do that?" Sir said before he picked up his toy. It was unharmed, thank God. Man, if I did shit like this my mama woulda whooped my ass.

"You're lucky this didn't break. It really could have you know. I don't even play with it so much because I wanna keep it clean..." Sir started to cry and I crouched to be at his eye level.

"Sir, go to your room and I'll join you in a bit, okay? I gotta talk to your sister real quick." I kissed his cheek and he nodded.

"Rumi Carter, come here right now." I was still crouched down and she sheepishly made her way towards me. She knew what she did was wrong.