Chapter 16 - Picnics and Pettiness

Beyoncé POV

Megan and I held hands as we walked through the park. Our team secluded an area just for us 5. Sir, Rumi, and Blue were right in front of us. Blue was carrying the picnic basket while Megan carried the blankets. The supplies for today's activities were in my backpack. The smell of grass and sunshine on my face made me smile. Family bonding is something I've always tried to do with my children but Jay wouldn't be as present. He was physically there but scrolling on his phone instead of engaging in the activities we had planned sometimes.

We got to the picnic area and the kids assisted Megan in placing down the blankets. I brought out my phone and took a quick picture. They won't be little forever.

Megan placed the backpack and picnic basket beside her as she sat on the blanket. I made my way over to her and sat down. Sir ran to Megan, a folded paper sheet in his hand. He sat on her lap and motioned for Rumi to come to him. She followed and sat in front of Sir and Megan.

"Are you ready for your surprise, Auntie?" Sir asked with a smile. Rumi's eyes lit up and she squealed with excitement. I already knew what the surprise was and I know Megan's gonna be so thrilled with what they made her.

I looked at Blue. I pointed to my phone and motioned for her to take their video. She got it immediately.

Sir showed Megan the drawing Rumi and he made of us in Japan. Around the drawing of us 5, they drew things that reminded them of our Japan trip. There were seashells, Mario figures, and a bunch of the food we tried. Scribbled at the top was 'Sir and Rumi's Family' in big but barely legible letters. I heard Blue go awww and Megan wiped a single tear from her eye.

"When did yall do this? I love it so much" Megan asked in disbelief as she took the drawing and inspected it.

"We had to draw something for school that made us happy and we both worked extra hard on it." Rumi said.

"And Japan made us extra happy!" Sir said before Megan scooped Rumi and him into her arms and gave them kisses on the cheek. They both screamed and giggled hysterically.

"I love you both so much thank you my babies" Megan said and she hugged them tightly before they stood up to go to the playground. Blue and our bodyguards followed while Megan and I stayed behind. I moved closer to her and placed my head on her shoulder. I heard her sniffling and I looked up to see her crying softly.

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked her. Usually, I'm the one Megan comforts and I want to be there for her in the way she is with me.

"I just - I love them both so much. I'm glad yall see me as family. It's been a while since I felt like I had family family" Megan said as she wiped another tear from her eye.

I sighed. I knew Megan had lost both parents and it was hard on her. I sat in front of her and hugged her. She continued to cry while I rubbed her back, trying to give her any comfort.

"I know your family watching you from heaven, baby. I know they're so proud of you - your mom especially" I said which caused Megan to cry even harder.

"Her birthday's coming up in a month. I'm usually a wreck when that comes around. I miss her so much, Bey. You would have loved her" I placed my forehead on Megan's as I continued to hold her. Seeing her upset made me want to do anything to make her feel better.

"Can I come with you? If you say no, I get it but please have someone with you. I don't want to intrude. I just want someone to be there for you, baby and if you let me, I'd gladly be that person." I said.

"You— you wanna come with me? You're sure? Pardi never understood me wanting to go back to Texas to visit my mama" Megan pulled her head back and looked at me.