Chapter 37: Guardians

"Come on, Erik. You can do it." I said as I mixed different paint colors in a palette and placed it next to him. He moved the brush to take more paint and then stroked the canvas I had prepared for him. That was the third painting he had done that afternoon. He sketched blue lines that seemed to be a sky and then stopped.

"I don't understand why I keep doing this. I don't like painting." He said.

"You do like painting, trust me and you are petty good actually! Just have to keep trying." I insisted.

As the years passed, I saw how Erik became less Erik. It was like that fucking implant was devouring him from the inside. No more creative cooking, no more painting, and definitely no more music. His cheerful and creative spirit had faded like a drop of ink in the ocean. But I refused to give up on him. There was no way Erik would let himself be consumed like this. I couldn't allow it to happen. Michael wouldn't forgive me if I did.

Erik had to fight back. So, I made it my mission to be there for him every week, encouraging him to keep doing the things he once loved. Sometimes, I'd catch a glimmer in his eyes, a spark of memory pushing back against the darkness. But despite my reluctance to admit it, each passing year felt more like an uphill battle. Every update the Reg Society rolled out seemed to amplify the effects of the implants on those who wore them. And that meant I was battling an enemy that evolved with every passing minute.

"I'm tired. Can I stop?" He asked, rubbing the back of his implant. It seemed like every time Erik tried to reclaim a piece of himself, that damned thing irritated him.

"Sure man. Let's take a break. You did great." We both collapsed on the sofa, and he dropped his head backward, eyes closed. I studied him closely. Erik was not only mentally changing but also physically. His skin seemed paler, his hair not as messy as it used to be, and some of his particular gestures had changed. His way of tightening his lips when he was up to something or his funny eyebrow movement when he joked, all of that was gone.

"Thanks for always coming, Grace." He said still eyes closed.

"You're my favorite person in the world. Don't thank me for doing what any friend would," I said.

He opened his eyes and looked at me kindly. That was so Erik. My heart fluttered every time I could really see him.

"You know what I mean. I'm sure you might have a lot of cool people to hang out with now that you are... a big fish." He said.

"A big what?" I chuckled. "I'm not even the size of a guppy. Plus, all the cool people you say? Aren't nearly as cool as you are. Michael knew it too, that's why he snagged you." I said.

Erik's eyes flickered uncomfortable and he lowered his gaze to the floor.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's just that... every day it seems harder to remember him," he said, confusion crossing his face. I moved closer and took his hand in mine.

"You'll always remember him. I'll make sure of it." I said.

A tear rolled down his cheek, but he quickly wiped it away. Seeing Erik like this made my heart sink every time, but ever since the Foundation Day's attack, I held onto a glimmer of hope. That Phoenix woman had deactivated my speed sensor with a technology I had never seen before. If I could obtain one of those, maybe Erik would have a chance to regain his old self. I just had to figure out how.

"You told me you saw Michael, right?" He asked.

"I did!" I answered.

"And you already went through the whole story with me, but I can barely remember it..." He said disappointed.