Chapter 32: Bleeding Echoes

My heart pounded hyperactive. My body trembled as if electricity bolted through my veins. Was that real? It couldn't be. But still, there he was, right in front of me. Red paint tinted his whole face masking the once adorable and innocent features I used to love so much. I stood up, still fuzzy. We locked eyes. No doubt. It was definitely him.

"Micha..." Before I could finish his name, he leaped onto me, enveloping me in what felt like the warmest embrace of all time. I squeezed him tight, as if with that I could make up for all the time we had been apart. My chest exploded with the most sincere joy. Was I flying? It felt like it. He seemed stronger and perhaps a bit taller, but that smell of damp earth after a downpour was unmistakable. It only could be Michael.

I lost track of how long we stayed wrapped in each other, but if eternity had been offered to me, I would have accepted without hesitation.

We broke apart to finally see our faces. His red paint was smeared by the tears, and we both breathed fast, unable to pull any words out. A huge smile bloomed on his face, just like the one from that surprising day our parents took us camping instead of school.

Michael was the keeper of the key to my memory vault, the only one who could unlock it no matter how deep or hidden the memories lay. Just a few minutes beside him seemed to have been enough to rekindle a flood of emotions and nostalgia.

I remembered Dad telling us bedtime stories, crafting thoes cool shadow puppets on the wall, and Mom carrying us both piggybacks until we collapsed in giggles. Then there were Michael and I, always engaged in races that always ended with him in tears for not winning. Of course, I'd let him win the second time, and then I would hoist him high on my shoulders like a champion.

I had endless beautiful memories that I had buried due to the fear of not having anyone with whom to share them.

"I can't believe you're real..." I said wiping away my tears.

"Neither can I."

Silence hung heavy between us, filled only by the sound of our ragged breaths.

"You... are taller," I remarked and I trailed my eyes up and down his figure. He smiled, embarrassed. Michael had always been very shy when it came to his physique, and that familiar gesture made my heart flutter with joy.

"Well, It's been a while," A pause. "You look different too. Like..." He pondered his words. "...stronger and... implacable."

I chuckled. "Thanks, I guess, but it was your punch that gave my face a bit of a makeover."

"Yeah, sorry about that, does it hurt?"

I shook my head "I'm too happy to feel any pain right now."

Another pause.

"Well...all this time...what... what happened?" He asked.

"Ugh, I don't know where to start..." I said, passing one hand through my hair, exhausted at the mere thought of explaining everything.

"Did you get our message?" I asked him.

"I did. It was the best day ever. I read it a thousand times, I couldn't believe it." His eyes filled with happiness at the memory. "But... you didn't mention that..." He gazed at my Narval uniform and locked eyes with it.

True, I hadn't told him about my assignment because I was so damn scared of his reaction.

"Oh, yeah sorry, I wanted to tell you but...well..." I wasn't prepared for that conversation. "This wasn't my plan...They assigned me here and you can't refuse."

"Really?" He said as if he couldn't believe it.

"Yes, of course, I would never end up here if it was my choice," I replied. "And you... you joined the Phoenix group and for real." I looked at the black tattoo he had under his eye. It looked like the wing of a bird but in flames. It started from the upper side of his cheekbone and ended in the left corner of his eye.