Chapter 3: Sunset

The Narval House worked like a well-oiled system of gears, perfectly assembled. Despite the multitude of people bustling about, there was no sense of chaos. Each individual seemed to know exactly what they had to do, moving with determination and total security. Heather guided me to the third floor, which was the residence area. As we walked down the spacious hallway, I noticed about fifteen doors, each adorned with names that sounded foreign to me. We halted at a door labeled "Exo-Terra Explorers."

"This will be your room and your group for now," Heather said as she knocked on the door. A black woman with her hair shaved emerged from the room. "Oh, hi," she said, a bit surprised. "The newcomer?" she asked, glancing at me.

"Yes, Grace, this is Kate. She'll be your shadow for the next three months, teaching you everything you need to know."

"Hi," I responded somewhat dryly.

"Wow, I can tell how excited you are to be here," Kate said with irony. "Don't worry, in a couple of days, you'll be so busy that you won't have time to think about whether you're excited or not."

Her comment irritated me, and I was in no mood to deal with her. I had no desire to be at Narval House; I was there merely to buy some time and plan how to rescue my brother.

As Heather turned to leave, I called after her, "Wait!" She turned back to face me. "Can we talk for a minute? Privately."

Kate rolled her eyes and gestured towards the room. "Sure, I'll leave you two alone."

As Heather and I entered the room, I noticed several bunk beds perfectly aligned. "I don't have much time, what's the matter?" Heather said impatiently, her voice sharp and focused.

"Where is my brother?" I asked furiously, my emotions boiling over.

"I don't know," she replied, maintaining a rigid expression, her face a mask of composure.

"Stop this performance right away! Either you know where he is, or you have a way to find him. Why did you close the gate? He had the color, we had both been called! How could you do that!" My emotions got the best of me, and tears welled up in my eyes, the raw pain of that day returning like a hurricane.

Heather, who had started the conversation with a severe and unempathetic expression, now showed a hint of emotion. As my words began to falter, she placed a firm hand on my right shoulder, forcing me to meet her gaze. "Grace, I swear, I don't know where he is," she said, her green eyes fixed on mine, her voice steady and reassuring. "But I know he is okay. I had no choice that day; I couldn't let him cross. You will soon learn how this job is. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions for the common good."

I wiped away my tears and pulled her hand off my shoulder. "You know what? For a moment, when I was waiting in line, and you told me your name, I thought there was a hint of humanity in you and that maybe this place wouldn't be so bad. But now I see how wrong I was... You are just as heartless as they say, a cold, unfeeling human."

Heather didn't respond; she just stared at me until Kate knocked on the door. "Hey, Lead, we have a situation on the border that requires your presence."

Heather left the room without saying anything to Kate either. "What the hell did you two talk about?" Kate asked me curiously.

"She's an asshole," I muttered, carrying a bag that Heather had given me to an empty bunk bed.

"What? Hey, you can't talk about the Lead like that!" Kate said, a bit angry.

"Whatever," I replied.

"And this is not your bunk bed, by the way; you don't get to choose, new girl." Kate sighed and looked at me. "Ok, then. Tell me where the hell I'm going to sleep."