Chapter 2: The assignment

"Hey, Grace? Can you hear me?" A soft voice reached me in the darkness.

"Honey, if you are listening, try to look at me." The voice continued.

Slowly I opened my eyes. "Where am I?" I said.

A shiny light blinded me for a moment until my eyes managed to adjust the view. An old woman in a white gown stood beside me. Behind her, there was what looked like a hospital room. I tried to move but my entire body ached. It felt like I had been drained of energy.

"There you are! This is the Reg hospital for immigration. Your recovery treatment has just ended." She said.

"Recovery treatment? I feel like shit." The woman looked at me surprised. Alright, that wasn't nice but in my defense, I'd say I truly felt like I've been run over by a truck.

"What a language... Is that how you talk on the other side?" She said.

"This is how someone in pain talks," I replied and she smiled politely.

"The treatment lasted for three days, so it's normal to feel some discomfort. You haven't moved since you arrived, but trust me, your arm and head look much better now!"

The concept of 'recovery treatments' wasn't new to me; they had gained popularity before the war began. Essentially, they were a combination of pills that stimulated the body's healing process, but they required complete sedation. Many people have been against them due to the various side effects.

"Okay, so can I leave now?" I asked.

The old woman let out a laugh "Where in God's name would you want to go, honey?"

Suddenly, everything came rushing back to me. I remembered it all. My breath quickened, and I felt my heart was about to burst. "Michael," I said softly.

The old woman seemed puzzled. "What did you just say?"

"I have to go." Right after that, I leaped from the bed and ran away. I needed to find my brother. This was not how things were supposed to be. Where was Michael? What had happened to him?

"Hey! You cannot leave!" she exclaimed, but I paid no heed as I rushed out of the room and into a long hallway. Suddenly, my legs gave way.

"No!" I attempted to walk as fast as I could. There was an open door at the end of the corridor. If I could just get there... However, after just a few steps, I began stumbling. I had no strength left in my legs. What had they done to me? I collapsed onto the ground. The old woman and another nurse quickly reached me.

"Are you out of your mind?!" the old woman exclaimed. She tried to control her tone but she was clearly stressed. "You don't understand. I need to find my brother," I pleaded.

"You'll find him once you're ready to go." She said.

They assisted me back to my bed and I couldn't resist. I felt truly awful. "I'm sure your brother will be okay," the old woman tried to reassure me.

"No, I lost him at the border. I don't know where he is." An image flashed through my mind, a spark of memory. "I need to talk to a Narval Officer," I gripped the woman's arm tightly and she looked at me, surprised. "Wow, it's good to see you regaining your strength, young lady. However, you can't speak to any Narval Officer right now. Try to get some rest, and we'll talk in a few hours."

She injected something into a tube connected to my arm. "What is this?" I asked.

"A painkiller. You said you were feeling bad, didn't you?"

Suddenly, it dawned on me.

"Heather! I need to speak with Heather Anderson!" Yes, that was her name. I was sure of it.